HybridZ

Cover me guys!! I'm going in!!!

Well, just figured I'd formally introduce myself to this end of the board.

I finally got my complete SBC 350/700R4 package the other day and will be getting started next week. I'm hoping to only have the car down for about 3-4 weeks, is that a reasonable goal for a first time swapper???

My dad will be helping out (read, supervising), because he's the master mechanic guy. I'm just the so called rookie. But I'm all the muscle, he's just the brains :D

So what do you guys think is a good "man-hour" time estimate, if I have all the parts ready to go and the "while I'm at it" syndrome will be kept to a minimum??

Opinions are greatly appreciated guys!! Wish me luck (good)!! :D

Do yo have the JTR manual?

If you follow the manual and have gathered all the required parts then 3-4 weeks is very doable, infact it will probably take less time.

All bets are off though if you get the "While I'm at it" syndrome.

Wheelman

Did you buy Savage42's setup?

The swap can be done in 3-4 weeks if you have the time to put into it. The basics can be done in 20-30 man hours of work the little details are what takes time.

Good luck and keep us updated.

Yeah it's the Savage set-up. Hopefully it's all it's cracked up to be. I still need to locate a shop that has an engine dyno so I can see. Hopefully they're be no surprises and I can get it in SOON!!!

That is a sweet setup. I am sure you will be very happy with it.

I considered buying it myself but decided to go with the LS1 instead.

Since that setup comes with everything you need, 3-4 weeks is plenty of time.

As for the dyno, I would predict you will end up with over 300rwhp no problem. Gary builds quality cars. His 510's he has built are famous.

Good Luck. If you work hard you can have it running again in a week. Just don't fall into the "while I'm at it I might as well" syndrome.

Guest 570Z

I was the same way, poundZ. When you're doing the swap-heres some things i ran into-

-make sure you have ALL of the wiring sorted out before hand especially if you're usin an electric fuel pump (JTR requires, you know that).

-DON'T connect both battery terminals to the starter (I'm stupid, don't laugh.)

-A Sawzall works great in getting the Z's old transmission mounts out.

-Don't try to drive the car to school with open headers (It was fun, sure, but my head REALLY hurt)

Hope you have fun, the best part about the swap is getting the v-8 in it, and just lookin at it and sayin "I've created a monster!!"

I will agree with that 'I have created a monster' thing. When I got the V8 settled into my RX7, me and a few friends stared at it for a few min's going 'Wow...thats cool' Thats actually how me and my buddys refer to my RX now; 'The Monster'. It took me about 6 months to complete my cnversion, but thats an RX7 with a rear axle conversion, on a tight budget, and I got bit by the 'Hmm.. while Im doing this, I might as well do this.. ' bug. Little bugger... Anyway, have fun man. Hope all goes well!

Well, I'm still waiting to get started. The mounts that were supposed to be MSA look more like Scarab style spacers than anything. No biggie, Just waiting on that stuff now. I guess I can start stripping out the L24 and prepping the enigne bay.