HybridZ

question about power (long)

Guest polarity

Guest polarity

I rode in a tt supra last night (I dont know what all was done to it but power house racing had worked on the car) that was supposedly pushing out around 475 - 500 hp.. The guy told me his best run was on race gas and slicks doing a 12.6. and that on pump gas with street tires his best is about a 13.1

But my question is about feeling of power. When those two turbo's spooled up it PINNED me to the seat. He was running 20lbs of boost. and man did it feel great. How can I make my ZX feel the same way when I hit the gas. Will it already. I posted what the motor I have will be, and got some input.

Vortec heads (upgraded by sdpc2000.com to have .550 lift instead of .450)

Performer intake

Crane Powermax #114142 camshaft, 216, 228 @.050 - 112 LSA

Edelbrock Performer manifold

Holley 650

Grumpy said my stats should look something like this 378hp/398tq

So my question is, is the car already going to feel like the supra did when the turbo's spooled or do I need to look at building this engine to accept some kind of turbo (and is that even possible in a ZX)

Billy

Guest greimann

I think what you were feeling in that Supra was classic turbo spool up acceleration curve. He nails it and you feel some acceleration, then the turbos kick in and WHOA NELLY!. It is a non-linear response curve. Your V8 will give you pleanty of kick in the pants but in a smoother curve. The feeling will be different, but will still shove you back in the seat and will run low 13's. You will not be disappointed.

Twin turbo V8 is always the dream of many of us V8 guys, but space limitations, money limitations, technical expertise, and availability of parts is a big challenge. Stick with your plan and if you feel that sometime in the future you want a turbo, then go from there.

Guest polarity

while I'm asking strange dumb questions here goes one more. I have never ridden in a car with a supercharger. Last night was my first time in a car with turbo. Is there a different feeling with a SC, or different way it works. Is it possible to SC & turbo a car? I'm just curious on how it works, and if its been done. and finally if so, what was the result

Both effectively accomplish the same thing, but turbos are generally more efficient because you don't need to use engine power to make power (not 100% accurate, but good enough for comparison). Since SCs are belt driven, it takes power from the engine to drive the pulleys, but SCs power curve is flat in comparison, so it is making power from idle, no spool up time, so you don't get that sudden 'rush' of power.

Tim

I believe a lot of diesel engines in semi trucks have both super charger and turbos.

I am hoping that my engine combo will be "fun" to drive because it will make ~300lbft of torque at 2000 rpm and ~420lbft at 5000 rpm. So it should feel like it is pulling you back in the seat harder as it wraps up.