HybridZ

I need some ideas for park/turn sig lights

Guest 305240

Guest 305240

Hey all! I'm getting ready to do the front of my 240. I'm using an 280 lower 3 piece valance, with the 240 bumper cut out in the middle. The bumper ends will cover the bolts for the lower valance. I want to use something like an eggcrate type for a grill. I have the 280 and 240 grill, but that's not the look I'l after. I plan on painting the grill black with lighted chrome bullits made into a Z in the center of the grill.

The problem is: I'm at a loss about what kind of park/TS lights I should use. I was leaning more toward the lights being behind the grill. I guess it's just depends on what kind of lights I can find.

Any ideas anyone? Pics would help tremendously. They could be on anything. I consider myself a pretty good old school body and paint man. Fabing and adapting won't be a problem.

Guest 305240

Wow Datsunan! Awsome grill! It looks good, but I won't be running a front airdam/spolier. This Z will be strictly "Old School". Flairs, wide tires on turbines, sidepipes, and a sun roof. I'm toying with the idea of a torino type air scoop also. Mustang orange with a black interior. The motor is also going mustang orange with all the chrome I can get. Detail is the name of my game.

When I told my wife about the grill idea I had, she looked shocked when I said I wanted sharks teeth. And, she loves Z cars.

I was toying with the idea of putting the turn sigs in the small triangular area at the front of the headlight bucket, looking at it from the front it would be the bottom inner corner of the bucket. You would have to find or make your own lense to fit but it would be cool and unique. I though about sidepipes also but since I made it more of a sports car than a muscle car I went with duel exhaust. Detail,,, I know all to well of detail, powder coated down to the oil pan bolts and polished and cromed to the valve cover, it ante cheep my friend! I'll send you a pic of my motor when I get home. Here's an idea for a side marker light.

thumb_finished%20product%20003.jpg

Just kidding! This was on of the easiest mods I did. Go to an auto parts store that sells the small plug in type bulbs commonly used for say Honda park lights. You should be able to find them in different colors of glass, (not painted but colored glass) get the red. Now go to the junk yard and find a late model Honda and take two of the front park light bulb sockets, they should be a grey rubber with two wires. Remove the inside panels from the rear quaters. remove the emblem and drill a small hole in the upper part of the emblem cavity through two sheets of metal. This is just a pilot hole so you know where on the inside you need to drill. Now you need a uni bit, it's a drill bit with multiple levels in the shape of a triangle that is used to drill from 1/8-3/4 inch holes. You can get them at Home Depot. You need to drill the inside metal panel first, as big as you can, you then drill the outer panel which is in the emblem cavity to the size of the rubber bulb socket. Don't drill it to big or it will leak water. Drill it small and put some lube on it and twist it in from the inside. Then put the bulb in and wire it up! It looks really cool at night, the light shoots out the edges of the emblem. Good luck Paul Lets see if I can get my motor pic in this time

normal_finished%20product%20008.jpg[img]

Guest 305240

I found some pretty nice ones at an auto part store. Nice looking amber with a chrome housing. It's about 5" long and a little over an inch wide. They are LED lights. Will Led work for parking lights as well as turn signal lights?

Are these for the front of your car? Is so you will need one light for park and one for blinker unless you know a thing or two about relays. If it is for the side marker you really should use the glass bulbs that have a flat area at the bottom where they plug into the socket.

Guest 305240

Thanks again my man. If this keeps up, you are doing almost everything but building it for me...lol...Again thanks. One more question. How did you make your grill? Do you have the teeth bolted, or set on some kind of background? If so, what did you use. I like that look of the grill suspended in mid air. Really neat. You can just imagine the detail that went into it.

Believe it or not that grill only took about 3hrs to make, But I did need to pay someone to polish the tubes befor I bent them and welded them to the frame. They are just tack welded to the backside of the frame. Right now the grill is fastened to the upper original grill mounts with a hose clamp, I still need to finish the mounting. I'm thinking of redoing the hole grill if the price is right I might sell it...?

I don't know what you would like to know but the bumpers for instance are stock with the center cut out I then made caps for the area I cut and re-cromed them. The air damn is from motorsports and it is for the early 280's so there is no place for the turn/park lights. I mounted turn and park light s that I bought on ebay for 15.00 new. I think they were from a 87-89 accord and they are euro so they have clear lenses. I cut the lenght down a bit and install a secound bulb in it using the same socket as shown above. The grill I made of 1/2 inch and 1/4 inch polished stainless steel. Hope this answers your question.

I'm donig a similar project on my 280. redoing the front end and bumper. I'm looking for turn/parking assemblies as well... i was thinking something along the lines of an MR2 like 90-96 body style and mounting them in the bumper. I'm still searching though, don't have money for the foglights i want yet.

-Ed

Guest 305240

My latest brain fart is takinig a set of good quality fog lights and converting them to park/ts lights. I've seen some pretty good looking fog lights in different styles.

Guest 305240

I found them!!!!!! 65-66 mustang turn/park light assys. They will fit right in my 75 lower valance corners, just under my bumperettes. I was also toying with the 65-66 mustang tail lights. Always did kinda like them. Cherck them out on california mustang site.