HybridZ

problems getting t-belt on my 84 300zxt

Guest tankglh21

Guest tankglh21

hey guys,

i am replacing the timing belt on my 84 300zxt. and i cant seem to get the belt aroudn the tensioner. if i totally remove the tensioner, i can get the belt on the crack gear but then i cant get the tensioner back on. any help would be greatly appreciated. thanx.

Relax. Generally, most everyone here is willing to help if they know the answer. I personally don't post unless I have something substancial to say. Otherwise, you'd have 100s of post saying: "Gee, sorry. Can't help with that one..."

I've changed timing belts on plenty of cars, but I haven't personally changed the timing belt on my 300Z and don't really know first hand how to answer your question. There isn't a great contingent of 300ZX owners on this board. Granted, there are some, but not a great deal. Hence, not much response on that question. Try over at z31.com. Since, that board is aimed specifically at your car. Most Chilton's or Haynes manuals at your local library should cover the procedure. Good luck.

I have a 93 King cab with the V6, and IIRC it is almost the identical motor. (minor changes on the intake/ect) And I will tell you this; A shop charged me 3.5 hours labour, plus the belt. (ouch.. :evil: ) BUT I know these guys at the shop pretty good, and I can ask them how they did it/what the trick is. Heck.. they probly have the manual/procedure for you car anyway. I'm going to get some work done there in the next few days I think so I'll ask them.

Guest tankglh21

guys, i was just joking about the second post. i knew it would upset some people and get a response. thanx for trying to help.

Um.. just a FYI.. Making members of this board 'upset', just to get a response might not be the best way of getting your questions answered. I have found most folks on this board are very mature and, like the first two replys said, will help if they can. BTW, welcome to the Z world and good luck with the 300. I'll let you know if I make it to the garage this weekend.

you got the tensioner loosened up and slid out of the way? I had an 85 and don't recall the tensioner being in the way, I did replace my tensioner at the same time, I do recall the cams wanting to roll and having to pull the valve covers to hold them still, of course I did cam and crank seals while I had it apart, there is a good article at Z31.com with all the details about the timeing belt job