HybridZ

RB30DETT or RB26DETT?

Guest Hubbo

Guest Hubbo

Just wondering which would be better, a modified RB26dett or a hybrid RB30dett engine swap?

From experience what would some one recommend?

(Thanks in advance). ;)

Guest Hubbo

No the rb30 comes in turbo and non-turbo, but only single cam, hence the head swap.

If the rb26dett is a monster, the rb30dett should be along the lines of godzilla.

The rb30 looks like just a stroked rb26. Nice torque. Drop in some nice pistons and the usual who-ha, whats not to love?

Might not rev as high, but won't it be better to keep the power/torque lower and not rev the guts out?

Guest Hubbo

Sorry dude, just updated my info. Alma (sometimes Melborune), VIC. You should find that in the Vic Roads Directory.

The RB30dett sounds nice, but it might be easier just to drop a straight RB26dett. With the RB26dett I can leave it standard and retain all original emission equipment, get it registered, then modify it at a later date.

So would it really be worth going down the RB30dett path?

Being in Australia I have access to both engines, and the RB30e blocks are cheap as chips.

Guest Hubbo

As far as I know, the later RB25 only came with vvt, where as all the rb26detts came as non-vvt. I may be wrong.

I'll stay out of the VVT debate and just stick with the RB26dett type as most people think this is the best head away (not that you can't get excellent performance from other heads).

Without going too far off track, the stock RB26dett comes with a nice package of individual throttles, twin turbos (less lag?), and stronger/performance internal parts.

Bottom line, if we got a RB30dett and RB26dett (on a RWD system), modified them as you liked, money aside (hypothetically), which one would you choose? why?

(I won't limit it to any application, ie. drag car, but I'll say it would be nice to still have it streetable).

PS. don't take the post the wrong way.

I beleive there was a tuning house in Aus somewhere that built an RB30 with a 25 head, Meggala has a link to it on his webpage, it made 457rwhp at a paultry 15psi of boost. try doing that with an RB26. plus, there is a lot of torque to be made with a motor like that. basically, it would be a nissan 2jzgette.

McAdam

Guest Hubbo

Nice site that one... (and to think that monster engine went into a cobra).

I'm kind of leaning towards the RB30dett. Interesting how he used GTR springs on the rb25 head.

I didn't particularly like that intake setup coming back across the head. Personally I would have the intake similar to the rb26, coming down to met the intercooler (can we say 'aftermarket'?). Apparently the rb25 and rb26 intake bolt pattern is different, and not interchangeable, so I would still go the rb26 head and intake etc.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Batman

Go the 3 litre for sure. Here in aus you can pick up a block real cheap at u-pull-it. Then get an R32 rb25 N/A head so you don't have to worry about vvt, slap it all together and put a big bb turbo like the gt30/40 on it and it'll go as fast as you like. Doesn't really need two turbos but if you've got the cash....

Plenty of info at http://www.skylinesaustralia.com about this...

Guest Hubbo

Thanks. I was leaning towards the 3L. I just need some opinions to get my mind set, and discount the plan old rb26dett. :)

I can't wait. My old man already thinks his planned ford with mustang v6 will be faster. We'll see.....

How much are you looking at spending? It truly would be a monster, however the costs of such a project would build up quite quickly..

A friend of mine with a R33 GTSt was recently considering the 3.0 bottom end conversion but decided against it when he heard the costs of doing it properly. If you're interested I could get some of the rough quotes he was given.. Nothing pretty though!

If you'd be doing it yourself, all the better.. would truly be a sight to see!

as for turbocharging.. with the 3 litre bottom end you could put a decent sized turbo on there without too much worry (as mentioned above)

however I've got a personal love for a 26 (3.0 block or not) with a set of HKS GT2530s.. mmm...

Guest Hubbo

I've done some 'rough' costings. All up I'm looking at around $45k AUS(possibly $50k), but thats everything I'm planning on doing, including importing the car as well. From empty garage to street ready - shell, suspension, drive train, engine conversion, etc.... everything.

Considering what the end package will be I think its money well spent (truely).

I wanted to do the conversion on a 280zx 2 seater model as I think they look nicer (and slightly lighter than 2+2). 280zx looks better than 240Zs, 260Zs, and 280Zs IMO (300ZXs start to get to bulky and too heavy). Why do people put a G-nose on? I think they are just trying to copy the 280zx.

With a custom body kit, its not going to look much like a 280zx anyway.

My first problem is that they are no 2 seater 280ZX models here in Australia (apart from rare imports that you never hear about), hence the import.

So it may be some time before completion. I've already started making enquiries, so hopefully not that long.

I've also costed the project for most parts, apart from hoses and the odd nut and bolt. I should be doing most of the work myself (hopefully), which is the best part and will also keep costs down.

I've run computer simulations to give me an idea of what hardware to use.

I've been using Paint Shop Pro (not a Photoshop fan!) to work on some possible body kit designs (completly custom, no MSA for me).

And I'm currently working on a scale model to test some of the body kit designs, which I hope to scan as a 3D model.

One thing is for sure, its going to be a real head turner. Guaranteed.

Oh yeah, any one what to buy an old 280zx? 2+2? .... won't be needing it.

G'day Hubbo.

Took me awhile to find the info I was looking for but heres some info you might find useful.

Firstly Aus 2 seaters sold in the last 2 years;

1 (07) 5491 2180 Aud$5000 black or green hardtop

2 (07) 5485 0513 Aud$15000 black hardtop

You may wish to follow up who bought them if you really want 2 seater and your import idea falls through.

Secondly there was a highly modified 280ZX (AIR 280) 0414 977 313 Aud$14500 also sold in the last year or so that may be right up your alley, that you may also want to follow up on.

Also if you want to do a radical upgrade of mechanicals look at swapping in the complete drive train and suspension from Skyline 2WD or AWD.

You end up with 5 stud hubs for a better choice of wheels, big brakes, RB25 or RB26 engine would easily fit in your dream budget.

All the best Neil.

Guest Hubbo

Thanks Neil.

Where abouts did you find the info on the 2 seaters?

Theres a few modified 280ZXs and other Zeds going around. I've seen a bloke down in Tas with a few RB swaps, but there just 2+2s.

I've come across I few people claiming to have 2 seaters which turned out to be 2+2s.

Its quite likely that I'll go for a 5 stud pattern. An AWD will be nice, but I don't really want to add too much weight. For the drive train I was looking along the lines of a 280zx turbo setup with Quaife LSD, bigger brakes (custom?), rb25det trans, etc.

Good to see your still around Hubbo,

Since I first got into Zs Ive been collecting interesting ads out of Unique cars magazine.

Fitting a multi-link rear out of skyline or S14-15 200SX is quite feasable I have pics of S13 Multi link under my spare car. I have Z31 frontend that I nearly put in mine but decided to stay with the 280 stuff with the brakes I'm using, which are Skyline Front 280mm Dia 26mm thick DBA 4953 with twin spot NavaraV6 calipers Z31 Master and Z31 rear rotor with Series2 280ZX calipers and trailing arms with Z31 caliper mounts.

Use of S14-15 or Skyline struts and lower arms etc is also feasible in the front. which is why I suggested using complete drivetrain and suspension.

Ive allowed aud$30,000+ on my project so your budget is not unrealistic if you go the whole hog, just dont expect to get it back later on.

The problem with finding a 2 seater in Japan is that it will probably have sat in junkyard for 20 Years, you might get a better car out of the US and convert it RHD. Good luck Neil.

Guest Hubbo

Still around, shouldn't I be? Anyway....

It would be great if we can see some photos. What are you planning in your project?

I think the rear end could do with some improvements, but do you think the 280zx front suspension, etc is no good even with some simple bolton upgrades (swaybar, bushes, etc)?

I thought of suspension upgrades, but one thing leads to another and I want to keep things relatively simple (and not get too carried away with the cash). Using the angle grinder to cut the floor and welding in a space frame has crossed my mind numerous times, then adding custom suspension, rear transaxle, and list goes on - but I have to remind myself not to get carried away (maybe at a later date).

Hi Hubbo,

A quick run down of my project goes like this, brakes & susp you know other than fully adj coilover Bilstiens, eng & trans lexus 4lt quad cam-man? R200 Viscous lsd. Modified GTO fibreglass kit to make 275 Ferrari lookalike convertible. Custom dash etc.

As to 280zx front end, there is nothing wrong specifically, I am going to use it with a brake calliper adapter. But I want to use 15x7 wheels and retain the deep centres. If you modify it to a later model you get the later 100mm caliper mounting, positive offset steering geometry, current wheel offset 0f around 40mm and a greater choice of wheels other than three piece Simmons ,Roh,Compomotive. And with the hub separate from the strut you have greater suspension choices. Yes it takes more calculation and effort!

Depends on what you want to do with your dollars, I'm not into sound systems, wings and skirts. Ooooh was I letting my age slip in there.

Hey Zrossa how often do they come up and how many do you reckon you have down there as I wouldn't mind one but wasn't prepared to go to a lot of hassle to get one. I guess rust is a big problem as it is for us here. Neil.