HybridZ

r200 LSD?

Guest gtmattz

Guest gtmattz

The differnetial in my 'new' 75 280 is an r200, that i am certain of, but it appears to be a limited slip. I have not removed it or taken it apart to check, but I did a 'test' that my father-in-law told me would let me know for sure if its a limited slip.. I took the car out to the pavement (i live in the middel of nowhere and have to drive 4 miles to get asphalt, but anyway) I pull the car half off the road, so that one tire was on the pavement and the other was off, then i performed a ver agressive acceleration, the car pulled hard and did not spin the tire that was on the dirt, well a little, but only for the same distance as the tire on the pavement left a black streak 8) , He (my father-in-law) says that from that behavior, its a limited slip.. is he right? Is there such a beast as an r200 LSD?

nope no such monster.... ill give you 50 bucks for it ;>

There are LSDs out there. hard to come by....range in price from 400-700 bucks.

best way to tell with out looking under the cover would be to just jack up the car and turn the rear wheels. if they both turn the same way its an lsd. You can check how good it is by holding one wheel and having someone lese turn the other. a good diff will be hard to hold the wheel from spinning. A worn diff will be really easy to hold. From the sounds of your little test its a pretty good diff.

Stony

Guest gtmattz

Well its definitely not a LSD, was all excited there for a sec lol.. but using the 'jack it up' test, i found that the rear end in my old 68 GMC is limited slip... go figger