HybridZ

yeah. My steering column is in the way.

Guest bobnagga

Guest bobnagga

so I ran into this problem. I got my 305 and turbo 350 into my '82 ZX and my exhaust manifold is in the way of my steering column. I talked to a guy that did this before and he said I may have to break knuckle it to get it to clear. any ideas?

There are a couple of possabilities. One is the addition of another u-joint in the shaft. I think that is what your friend is talking about. Another is a pair of block hugger headers. Do a search for block huggers here at Hybrid and I think you will find a couple of manufacturers that will work. Good luck!!

JTR now has shorty style headers available for the 280ZX. The header on the drivers side exits between the frame rail and the steering shaft.

These headers will only fit the cars with rack and pinion steering -- they will not fit on the ZX's with recirculating ball and roller.

The headers are not yet on the JTR website (http://www.JTRpublishing.com). Cost of the ZX headers is about $200 for the plain steel, and $300 for the ceramic coated.

JTR is currently working on a ZX V8 Conversion.

Adding u-joints to the steering shaft can be done -- but it is expensive.

In order to clear the 1993-1997 Camaro LT1 style manifold, or the 1982-1992 Camaro V8 manifold, the steering shaft angles require the use of a double-u-joint.

For example, if you use the Borgenson brand of u-joints, support bearings, couplers, and shafts, the cost can easily exceed $300. In addition, you will have to fabricate brackets to mount the support bearings.

The block hugger headers will not fit in the ZX.

The JTR ZX V8 headers are the most practical, and least expensive route to get the exhaust around the steering shaft in a ZX with rack and pinion steering. One of the reasons for the relatively high cost of the headers is that the flange is 3/8" thick steel to prevent warping. Thicker steel, better quality -- more money. See attached link:

http://www.jagsthatrun.com/Pages/Parts_DATZ_Headers.html