HybridZ

Differences Between 72 and 73 240Z Master Cylinders

Re: 72 vs 73 240z master cylinder differences

I have had trouble with a master cylinder that was installed on my 72 240z 1 year ago by a brake shop. I looked up the master cylinder in a Haynes and Chilton manual. Both manuals show the large reservoir towrds the front of the cylinder for the 70 - 72 model 240z. For the 70-72 MC the Haynes manual labeled the smaller reservoir near the max vac as the "drum brake" reservoir and the larger reeservoir at the front of the MC as "disk brake" reservoir. On 73- 78 MCs the reservoirs are shown to be reversed. On the 73 - 78 MCs the outlets are labeled "R" at the front of the MC and "F" near the max vac end of the MC. On the 73 -78 MCs the large reservoir is near the max vac end of the MC.

Here is the rub. The MC installed on my 72 240Z looks like the 73 - 78 model MC. With the large (F) reservoir near the max vac end of the MC.

Is this a problem or are the MCs interchangable and the reservoirs are just switched?

Thanks

Miles

They are interchangable as long as you reroute the brake lines front to back. Just make sure the front brakes go to the end of the MC with the larger resivour. I have had a 79 ZX MC on my 70 for the last 15 years. Arizonia Z car use to have a directions page on their web site explaining this swap.