HybridZ

Weld el turbo header

spork

Anyone made a turbo header from weld els for the l28et? If so, how many of what bends did you use? Do you have any pictures? I'm going to have to order the fittings, so I want to make sure I get enough the first time to minimize shipping costs. Also, what size of pipe was used? Thanks for any info,

James

• 2 weeks later...
Anyone made a turbo header from weld els for the l28et? If so' date=' how many of what bends did you use? Do you have any pictures? I'm going to have to order the fittings, so I want to make sure I get enough the first time to minimize shipping costs. Also, what size of pipe was used? Thanks for any info,

James[/quote']

?WELD ELS? what's that, bigger piping configuration :?

If I were going to do it, I would start by removing the turbo and exhaust manifold and made cardboard templates from engine block to inner fenders at front and rear of block, and representing the strut towers sticking into the area. I would then mock up other obstructions such as motor mount and steering shaft and crossmember. I would be generous in the size of the obstructions instead of exact measurements for clearance purposes.

I would assemble this with balsa glue/duct tape in order to have a model of the space I would be working with/in able to sit on my workbench, wher I would have the option of sitting or standing without bending over or having to reach up all the time on my back (I'm 50 now and don't relish working bent over a fender or reaching up all the time - I reserve out of position work for more entertaining pursuits).

I would then get a bunch of cardboard tubes (say from Xmas paper) and start cutting and duct taping. I would probably use balsa to mock up the flange for the head using the old gasket as a template, and I'd make it 3/8" to 1/2" thick - I like thick for exhaust.

I would then get a bunch of cardboard tubes (say from Xmas paper) and start cutting and duct taping.

If I were doing it I would have all tubes the same length +- 1/2". If I were using a divided turbine housing, have cylinders 1,2 & 3 come in on one side of a divided collector, cylinders 4, 5 & 6 on the other - to maximize the exhaust pulses for spooling. If not using a divided housing, then it wouldn't make any difference where the tubes come into the collector.

I would also make provision for an external wastegate.

After the design is all taped up, then verify that it will fit (you can get it into the space, and then the turbo, and that all intake/exhaust plumbing will fit.

• 3 weeks later...