HybridZ

Watch out, austin, tx....

labrat

...another hybridZ just hit the streets.

I'm proudly announcing that my 1981 280ZX finally hit the streets again sunday after a 2.5yr hiatus. New heads (vortec), air gap intake, holley 670cfm TBI kit, crane energizer 272* cam, and t-5 tranny. Got my exhaust put on at the shop on saturday, and took the first shakedown cruise on sunday. Still tuning out the flat spots in the FI, but this thing pulls like a beast!

1st gear- goes by too fast to think. thank goodness for rev limiter

2nd gear- pulls hard. still goes by really fast. tires really break loose about 3500 rpm.

3rd gear- Pulls long, pulls HARD. tires break loose about 4600 rpm. car just squats and hauls.

4th gear- still pulls very strong. No more tire smoke. estimate around 110 mph at redline (5500 rpm).

5th gear- chickened out. Damn this thing's fast.

Normal, around town driving I shift about 1500 rpm. Any higher than that and it starts to sound obnoxiously loud. That's what I get with a 3" single in n out 50 series flowmaster. Have 2" pipe off the manifolds, and they come together behind the tranny into a 3" Y-pipe. I also tend to pull out at stop signs and lights in second gear. 3.90:1 r200 makes for a very low first gear. It is nice for traffic, though, cause you can idle along real slow.

The only problem I have is starting it hot with the new fuel injection. I have to crank it a few times then fully depress the accellerator to activate "flood clear" mode on the FI to start it. That seems to do it, though. I am using a holley analog ECU right now. You adjust it with knobs sticking out the side. I have a megasquirt fully assembled, when I switch over it should be able to care of this. I just gotta build the harness for it.

anyway, just letting you guys in on another success story!

Bill

I usually prowl around the upper end of 183 near anderson mill. i live off anderson mill and don't wanna go too far yet. Wanna make sure it's gonna be reliable.

Speaking of which, i burnt out a fusible link on my latest trip, about 15 miles roundtrip. It happened to finally give it up just as i pulled into the driveway, so I made it home ok. Anyone have a good source for these around town? The chain parts stores (autozone, oreilly, etc)?

Anyway, it needs a little work still yet, but the bugs are slowly but surely coming out.

Bill