HybridZ

Aluminum for seat bracket?

DCZ

Would aluminum be a poor choice for an adapter bracket to mount a different seat in my 240z? It would be a flat plate about 3/16 inch thick with the plate bolted to the existing bracket and the seat bolted to the other end of the plate. I don't know anything about the piece of aluminum that I have, other than it is about 3/16 inch thick and . . . well . . . silver colored :roll:

Any ideas welcome!

Guest 77vegasz

Cold rolled steel in 1/4" thickness would be a much wiser choice. It will be vastly stronger in an impact situation than the aluminum, which will crack along the grain under heavy stress. For a couple of seat brackets, the weight difference between aluminum and CRS will not be that big of a deal.

Jon

Thanks for the info. I am much more concerned with safety than I am with weight. I just happened to find this piece of aluminum in my junk pile and thought it might work. Steel it is!

I Was just think... In an impact the seat would not be taking your weight. The seatbelt is what keeps you secured. Aluminium might not be such a bad choice after all. Don't take this as advice though, It's just something to think about.

Guest Aaron
In an impact the seat would not be taking your weight. The seatbelt is what keeps you secured.

In a front end collision, most of the weight is taken by the seat belt. In a rear end or side collision, the seat will take most or all of the force.

I don't know anything about the piece of aluminum that I have, other than it is about 3/16 inch thick and . . . well . . . silver colored

Without knowing the material, I wouldn't use it. But a sheet of 3/16" 6061 T651, 2024, or 7075 would be plenty strong enough. The brackets holding my race seat in my 240Z are 3/16" 2024.

Cold rolled steel in 1/4" thickness would be a much wiser choice. It will be vastly stronger in an impact situation than the aluminum, which will crack along the grain under heavy stress.

CR ASTM 36 (1018) steel plate has a yield strength of 36ksi and an ultimate tensile strength of 58 - 65ksi.

2024-T351 aluminum plate has a yield strength of 47ksi and an ultimate tensile strength of 68ksi.

6061-T651 aluminum plate has a yield strength of 40ksi and an ultimate tensile strength of 45ksi.

7075-T7451 aluminum plate has a yield strength of 68ksi and an ultimate tensile strength of 76ksi.

Seems to me that the aluminum plate is stronger then the mild steel plate.

Even after looking at the figures, i think I'd still opt for the 1018 steel. It's been my experience that steel is a much more durable metal than aluminum, even the higher grades like 6061 and 7075. I've seen a lot of load bearing structures made from 6061 that failed under loads significantly less than their listed failure limit. I think a lot of this has to do with the brittle nature of the alloys. The steel seat bracket may bend a little in an impact, but thee chances of it failing altogether are slim. If anything, the bending will help absorb some of the energy from an impact. The aluminum is more springy, at least to a point. After that point it just breaks. I think we can all agree though, that either choice is better than the stock sheetmetal mounts :D

Mike

• 4 years later...
Guest bengomez
Cold rolled steel in 1/4" thickness would be a much wiser choice. It will be vastly stronger in an impact situation than the aluminum, which will crack along the grain under heavy stress. For a couple of seat brackets, the weight difference between aluminum and CRS will not be that big of a deal.

Jon

Yeah steel in 1/4" thickness would be a much wiser choice....

blanchard grinding