HybridZ

Back into Z's

zdmz

I picked up a 260z last night - I am back into the Z game. :-D I had a '71 that I gave away a few years ago because it was too far gone to save. (Terminal body cancer) On the '71 I did the cam and triple carbs etc... and when I got it back together I had the "coulda had a v8 blues". This time around I will be doing a v8 - eventually.

Right now I plan on fixing the few dents and dings in the body, getting it painted and then make sure the brakes work correctly etc..... then I will drive it until I get all the parts assembled to do the conversion.

Right now the 260 looks very bad - but it is straight and I have not found any rust through spots - yet :shock: .

I know the first thing someone is going to say is "post a picture" but I do not have the technology for that. I will see what I can do.

I am glad to have found this site - I've been lurking for a while and there is a lot of good information here and I like the feel of this place.

One question before I go. I have been sanding some surface rust on the front fender with brillo pads and sandpaper. It is easy to get the rust off quickly and get the metal very smooth - but- there are dark spots in the metal where the heavier rust was. Is it necessary to get the metal all 'shiny' before priming or is it ok to leave the dark spots?

Thanks

Guest 305240

I agree with Brad-man. Ospho is the way to go. You can get it on line. Just do a ospho search on google. Some paint shops carry it. I take it a step further, and grind the dark spots off, then treat it with ospho. I also use rubber gloves, as this stuff is acid. I've always had good luck with ditzler condor heavy fill primer. Everything I have ever treated with it has never rusted again.

I went to the local parts place last night to try and get some ospho but they had never heard of it. ( I live in a very small town and options are limited) I did pick up some Naval Jelly since it has phosphoric acid in it - some of my research on rust removal showed that phosphoric acid is the way to go. I was very impressed with the way that it worked!!! still just a little of the darker deep rust areas left but I am going to try my grinder with a sandpaper wheel on it to finish it off.

I am going to do that search on ospho and try that out - thanks for the input.

About the Zinc - Does Ospho have Zinc in it? I found Ospho on the internet pretty easily but did not find where it says it has zinc in it or not. Found an MSDS sheet on Naval Jelly and it does not seem to have any in it.

Thanks

Went to Ace Hardware and orderd Ospho - of course they do not stock it! Wont be here until next week. I really like living in a small town but sometimes it can be frustrating.

I try to spend about an hour a day working on the car - along with a '48 Willys CJ2A that I am restoring - but without the materials needed it is hard to get anything done :( .

How much time a day - or week - or month?? do you spend working on your projects???

Went to Ace Hardware and orderd Ospho - of course they do not stock it! Wont be here until next week. I really like living in a small town but sometimes it can be frustrating.

I try to spend about an hour a day working on the car - along with a '48 Willys CJ2A that I am restoring - but without the materials needed it is hard to get anything done :( .

How much time a day - or week - or month?? do you spend working on your projects???

half an hour-hour/day if it's something little like sanding

6 hours/day if it's pulling/working/dropping in a motor/trans

10 minutes+/day to stare at my work

24 hours/day to wonder where all my money in my wallet has went!