HybridZ

F1 Style Paddle Shifter in a 510 Wagon

BayAreaZT

That is awsome! Man.. I could build something like that too.. The shop I work in does all kins of tooling/fixturing using componants like that. Valves, air fittings/lines... its all just lying around at my shop! Well, it's packed up right now..moving to a new shop, but I think I'll try to build something like that for my RX7 V8 hybrid.. (next project.. heh heh) Very cool...

Been there, done that... :D

On both systems I've done, the biggest problem wasn't the pneumatic circuit at all, it was the damn shifter buttons and/or paddles. It is actually much more difficult to get these working well and get a good feel with them than it is to design the rest of the system.

As far as the pneumatics go, the solonoids and cylinders needed are easy to find in a variety of sizes, but are industrial items and usually fairly expensive. The other problem is writing a program for a microcontroller that is GOOD and works well with the system. This is probably where most of the time will be spent in the end, is tweaking the control system and program to a point that it works smoothly with the pneumatic system.

In both cases my systems have been on a sequential tranny making them quite a lot simpler, but the adaptation to a non-sequantial system isn't terribly more complicated.

I had a chance to autox a car with paddle shifters - a buddies BMW M3 with a bunch of high dollar suspension mods and race rubber on it. Car was very quick and handled very well. When you hit the paddles though, my first reaction was WTF? WHEN is this thing gonna shift? It's cool and everything, but I think I'll stick with what I've got.