HybridZ

best tires for Z32 at Road Atlanta track?

Guest 240z73

Guest 240z73

My 1990 300zx tt did very well on the track with Toyo Ultra Performance Proxes T1-S [http://www.toyo.com/tires/] 245/45ZR16 94W,   250AA. But it is time to upgrade. I use 225/50 Hoosiers on my 240z. but Kumho Victoracer V700 are $50 ea [33%] cheaper. Has anyone used them???? Must I pay $15ea to shave 1/32" off them like Tirerak says???? Can I fit a 265/45 on front and rear????? with 8.5" rims of course. Just trying to lap the vettes!! :lol:

I've run 245/45 16 Victoracers at several open track events and I'm very happy with them. I don't agree that you need to have them shaved but I would subject then to a couple of heat cycles before you open track them. In other words drive them on the street until they are up to temperature and then let them cool over night. I did this with mine and they held up well through autocross and open track events. This was on a Trans Am instead of a Z32 but I don't think it would matter since both cars are of a similar weight. The Hoosiers are a better tire but like you said they are quite a bit more money so it's your decision.

There is a difference in the V700 and the Victoracer V700... I'd check with some of the guys who run track events, but the V700 is a rainspecific tire unless it is shaved...

The vette guys preffer the Victoracer over the v700 and your car is in the same weight range...

Mike 8)

The Victoracer V700 is an excellent track tire. There's no need to shave them, they barely have any tread when new. It is a good idea to heat cycle them before taking them to the track and running them hard, they will last longer. They are a little slower than Hoosier's, maybe 1 sec per 60 sec lap time, but they will last about twice as many heat cycles before they start to lose grip, and they are generally worn to the bottom of the two deep grooves then anyway. They give you good feedback and break away predictably. I use them for track events, they are only a little slower than Hoosiers or race slicks and a lot cheaper.

John