HybridZ

Pony Express Race

zdmz

I live in Battle Mountain, NV and this weekend we are having the Pony Express Race. It is an open road race between here and Austin, NV - about a 90 mile trip. The cars enter different speed classes and try to comlete the 90 miles by averaging that speed for the entire distance. The speed classes start at 90 mph and go up to 165 mph - above that is the unlimited class where the goal is to do the coarse a fast as possible. The record is somewhere around 200 mph average for the full 90 miles.

I had an opportunity to do it a few years ago with a guy in a Dodge Viper - we were in the 125 mph class! What an impressive ride. There is a strech of canyons down toward Austin that we took at 125 mph! Could feel the suspension working as the car shifted from side to side through the turns. Wow! :-D:-D:-D Never had a sense that we were going to slide at all and cruising the straights at 140 mph was like every day driving.

Used to get a couple of v8 z cars - one was a scarab - I don't know if they were part of the hybrid z group, it was before I knew about this site and didn't ask. Has anyone ever been here for the Pony Express race?

I believe there are three races in Nevada - the one here at Battle Mountain, one from Elko to Wildhorse resiviour and back and one out of Hiko - which is more remote than anything in existance.

There may also be open road races in Montana and Texas but I'm not sure.

The Pony Express Race is over - I missed most of the events of the weekend because I went to Reno. From what I hear it turned out pretty good except for the wind and the Mormon Crickets ( they get smashed on the road and make things really slick).

Only one car wreck this year - a guy totaled his '54 Studebaker - OUCH! No damage to the driver. A few years ago a guy wrecked his 80's vintage Corvette while doing close to 200 mph and walked away from it :shock::shock: He had built his car well.

Lots of Corvettes ( I think several Corvette clubs get together and come up for the race) a few Porsche 928's ( I really like those) and other Porsches, Camaros, Mustangs, various other cars and even a '72 Pantera.

Didn't see any z cars this year.

Later in the year we will have the world speed record attempts on bicycles here - 80 mph on a bike. I'll fill you in on that one when they come.