HybridZ

Wilwood 1.38" VS. 1.75" piston calipers

I am using the 1.75"s in one car but have the 15/16" MC in it. Has anyone tried the smaller 1.38" bore Superlight II calipers with the 7/8 MC. I am going 5 lug on my daily driver and I don't think I want to spend the money on Z31 rotor spacer + the pads ect, when Wilwoods are just a little more. But then I also would have to buy a new MC if I use the Wilwoods, adding even more $$ to a car that will never see track time to use them. So, any reason not to use the 1.38" bore calipers?

IMHO I would only use this small a bore for the rear brakes. This size of piston(s) is less total piston area than the OEM front calipers were. With the 15/16" MC that you already have on the car, it would make the situation even worse (reduction of the brake cylinder and increasing the MC).

• 2 years later...

Hi Guys,

Sorry for bringing an old post but it relates to my question.

I have a chance to buy a set of Wilwood calipers at a good price, they have 1.12'' piston size for .81'' rotors. Would they be too small for the front on a mildlly built L28 street driven Z? or better for the rear? The M/C will be 15/16 or it can be the stock 260, I have both.

Thanks, Ari

These would be much two small. The OEM piston area is somewhere in the neighborhood of 2.25" (it's been a while since I've measured one). Your query of using 1.125" pistons (dual per side) would provide a total square area of 1.98^ inches. This compares to the OEM area of around 3.97^ inches. Your goal would be to stay somewhere in the 4" range. These would be good candidates for the rear though. Perhaps on the small side, but usable.