HybridZ

The rules for doors when racing in a convertible

ToplessZ

Ok im a newbie to the racing facet of z cars. Here are my thoughts. I Have a convertible z nothing fancy but in pretty good shape. I dont want to mess with much body work just want to drive it. I had a thought that seems like a good idea. Since it is a convertible (roadster no top) would I be allowed to weld the doors shut all the way around it would allow them to be aligned perfectly. Provide quite a bit of support to the unibody and eliminate having to worry about weather stripping etc. What do you guys think am I nuts? I also plan on installing the auto power or similar 4 point rollcage. I think it would be cool kinda like the old model T and Model A roadsters. Alot of the old racers welded thier doors shut on those?

Thanks guys. Anyone know where to get these rules. Are they posted anywhere. I just want to make sure I can have fun with the car. Not worried about scuffs its gonna be a streeter beater. I think this will look cool. Its gonna be a pretty low ride so getting in an out shouldnt be too bad

Jared,

Just wanted to say I havent forgot about you. The work on the molds is very slow. The guy doing it works for beer so the window of progress is very small before every one is lagered and no work gets done. The front nose cone is done. Not mounted yet though.

Douglas

Jared,

If your looking to be able to drive the car on track and not compete in a formal race, try doing track events.

You would not get caught up in rules or regulations and mods to the car could be what ever you want.

Only "rule" for a convertible would be a roll bar and of course (all cars) need to be in top mechanical condition.

It might even be a good place to start before you jump in to a formal racing group.

Just some thoughts . . .

Thanks dcarrow. Thats more what I was looking for. I didn't know for sure if there were completly open track events where I could run this setup or not. Its mostly gonna be a nice weather cruiser but I wanted to be sure I could take it out to the track and throttle on it occasionally. Not really peticular about what class etc. Just would hate to see a pretty car go to waste :)