HybridZ

P90 Head rebuild/refreshing Dilema. Need Help

Hey guys. I have a P90 head that I need rebuilt. Valve job etc. I dont need any port work or anything but I want to send it to a decent shop. Thing is I am on a very slim budget. The local shop with bead blast, hot tank, Deck if needed, and do a 3 angle valve job. Im not sure if I trust them to do my datsun head or not though. I live in small town in ohio. Does anyone know anywhere in ohio or close to it that does inexpensive, reputable, headwork? Id be willing to ship the head if I could get the work done cheaply. The local shop quoted my 140 for above mentioned service. Is there anything else I should have done to it while I have it apart that wouldn't cost a ton? Trying to get my motor put together in a reliable budget oriented fashion.

Is that with them installing valves and setting clearance? I always bring mine in clean and disassembled to save some money and put it back together myself. Tell them it's for a turbo car so they know you just want the min. cut off and ask them what they took off after. I wouldn't worry, it's not a 4 valve Ferrari head :D.

I dont know im pretty nervous about this shop its quite the hole in the wall. Id like to have it setup or close to it when I get it back. I dont have the tools to take it apart and put it back together. I gues Ill check around the big city unless anyone has any recommendations

Bring it to a shop that has done L6 heads before. Let them dissasemble it, as it won't save much by doing it yourself. Plus, you need to keep the rocker and lashpad together, and marked as to which cam lobe they go with. A good shop that has done L6 heads before should already know this. Ask your local shop these kind of questions to get a feel for his expertise. I had a 3 angle valve job done for $180 last winter, and that included pressure testing.

Hope this helps

Pete

Can anyone recommend a shop in Ohio. Still waiting although I know most of you dont live around here. I called a couple of places but they didnt seem to think that the l6 head was any different than the other ones they do. Id prefer a 5 angle valve job. I was thinking about reconditioned rocker arms and new springs. Is that a bad idea? Trying to get as much info ahead of time as possible. Thanks

Jared

I called a couple of places but they didnt seem to think that the l6 head was any different than the other ones they do.

Jared

Really isn't different. There isn't anything special about them, just to people that have them :D. Probably 50% of the cars now have DOHC 4 valve heads, not like the 80's. I have never had a rocker arm failure, I do run Schnieder springs though. I've swapped rockers, cams and valves from other heads, never had a problem. Motor sees 6500-7000, somtimes more on every shift.

F & W Crank in archbold OHIO 30minuets from me. I have yet to see them do a L6 head but I did see my friends 4G63 head and oh my god it was perfect. Not to expensive and they do great work all family owned an run.

They have a N42 of mine and it's just getting cleaned but I do know that when you get your head back the chamber surface will be decked to a mirror finish and any and all pits will be repaired.

Other than that in Defiance OHIO there is progressive and I've heard they do great work but nevery been there my self.

tbs