HybridZ

Coilovers for a 280zx??

Guest masonvonritchie

No one makes a set of bolt in coilovers for the 280ZX.

Ross at Modern Motorsports sells a kit, but requires that you know (or know someone) welding.

The fronts are relatively simple and will require that you run a weld bead around the strut tube as a holder for the threded collar.

The rears are simply a pain in the azz. And you will have to cutom fab a holder for the threded collars and also grind down the OE spring perch (which is a little precarious as heat from the grinder and a gas filled sealed strut do not mix well).

As far as I know I am the only person on this board that has coilovers on my ZX. It took me over two months to make my coilovers and I had lots

of problems at first especially with the rears. It required several attempts before getting them right.

I bought my kit from a "supposed reputable" vendor, who used to post on here regularly and has now disappeared. This vendor was quick to take my $400+ and then when I called for assistance said "well....I never have actually put coilovers on a ZX before...." and then used to give me attitude like he was too busy to take a minute out of his day to answer my questions. Needless to say that added to my frustration, but in the end I figured it out and the car handles great!! If I see that vendor, I have a spare coilover that I want compress upside his head!

Anyway here are some pics of my set-up. I have been asked by several people, especially those that have stumbled across my website to build a coilover kit for the ZX, but I am just too swamped with work, family and other commitments...maybe in the future....

Front:

13822685.jpg

13822309.jpg

13822725.jpg

Rear:

13823050.jpg

13822332.jpg

13822342.jpg

Hope that helps - Regards - Yasin