HybridZ

Backbone a Z?

Guest plainswolf

Guest plainswolf

I saw a pic before of what looked like a member here with longitudinal braces on his trans tunnel... has anyone tried to beef up the the trans-tunnel area to get a stiffer backbone? I would think this would be a good idea...

anyone else?

I boxed in my door sills. I figured that these were connected to the front frame horns and would add support back to the rear wheel wells. My car’s power is applied in this area with the ‘Vette rear. I also sleeved the front frame rails and ran square tubes back to the rear. The car can be jacked at any point and the doors still open and close without binding.

…But now I have a heavy car. :roll:

We have talked abiut this before as well. Look up "backbone chassis". Maicors (sp?) looks cool. I had invisioned a more elaborate version kind of like a space frame that sits on the chassis tunnel that joins up to the fire wall and the all the way back to the rear strut towers. Weld it to the chassis so you use the existing floor as a stresed skin and then glue and rivit a outer skin on it kind of like you see in lotus 7's and ther replicas. I would also fabricate a strurt brace that picks up the front strut towers and braces the back to the fire wall to pick up the other side of the backbone chassis.

Its a nice solution but it does have some downfalls. It doesnt give you any better side impact protection. If you are racing you need a roll cage which done right will achieve the same thing, probably better. The last thing that i can come up with at this hour of the morning is that to make it a really stiff structure every thing must be boxed and have diaginal bracing like a space frame. This includes the under side right wher you might like to have a drive shaft and the exhaust.

Douglas