HybridZ

gauge install (newbie) please help

new to the forum like what i've seen. there is more info here them i could of ever thought of.

easy question but i have very little electrical experiance

i have 6 autometer gauges i need to hook-up. trying to find the best way to get power to all of them without killing battery or frying anything

If your gauges are electric (as opposed to mechanical), then there will be 3 terminals on the back....

1 for ground (-ve)

1 for 12V (+ve)

1 for the wire from the sender unit

If you are putting in a volt gauge, I would wire that one seperately (with slightly heavier gauge wire)...the others I would run a 14 gauge wire to a terminal block, then tap all the other positive gauge wires from that with 20-22 gauge wire.

where can i get a terminal block. so your saying to run a terminal block with power then run power from the terminal to all the other guages.

sorry im just want to make sure i under stand so i dont mess anything up. thankj for your patients. i but you think your talking to a 5 years old lol :lol:

thanks again

Use a terminal strip...

http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&product%5Fid=274-658

and a jumper...

http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&product%5Fid=274-650

Also get some spade connectors...

http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&product%5Fid=64-3124

That terminal strip doesn't look it, but is very flexible and can be mounted on uneven metal.

Good luck.

Original post edited. Mike's suggestion is much better (and cheaper) overall. If you have some spare change, I would suggest buying 50 or 100 crimp connectors of all types and a few hundred feed of some wire from Waytek. You may only need a few for this project, but you WILL eventually use all of them.

Radio Shack is only good in a pinch (expensive).

slim i was just goin to go with the strip an run power from the strip to all the other gauges. b/c i dont understand how to use the triminal block. do think i will need 2 strips sense i have 6 gauges. also can i use the strip to get power to oter things like a push button starter?

thanks

I am doing the same thing but here is what I am doing. I saved the plugs from my old gauges. I am going to wire these plugs into the autometer gauges where they will plug in like stock to the factory harness to get power and ground. This seems like the best and cleanest way to do it to me.

JT