HybridZ

Aggressive aero kit and flares for ZX?

Guest Dorifto_Tuning

Guest iskone

I think that the AZC and the black ZX above are butt ugly :puke:

But that's just me.

I don't like rice but I am probally one of the only people who likes the look of Dritin280zx's design, even with the honda wing.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hardly think the Japanese Drift style is ricey in any way ... I love that look - you know, zip-ties holding on your front bumper (I did it with my Grand Am, actually), tattered bodykits touching more pavement than car, the wing you could shave the roofs of tunnels with ... I love it! I want something like this pic - http://www.geocities.com/dorifto_motorsports/land_cruiser001.jpg . Notice how the front and rear under-diffusers jutt out at the bottom, and how the sideskirts are flat or slightly jutted out - this is what I would love to see on my Z! I'm a big fan of the Japanese VIP-car style, and would like to integrate that with the drift style and apply it to my Z. Now imagine my 2+2 with a kit like that, about 4 inches off the ground, with 14x10 wheels out back and 14x8 up front with the "stretch tire", about 5-degrees negative camber on all four wheels,

add a big wing like Drftn280ZX's design, and the fender flares of the car in this pic - http://www.geocities.com/dorifto_motorsports/DSC00136.jpg -, and that's exactly what I want. As for your kit, Drftn, I was going to comment on the rake of the front airdam, but you said it would be swept back like on an EVO, and that's more what I was aiming for ... it would look positively b****in' ...

I'm a little late on this one as I haven't been following this thread, but I'm confused by the above statement.

I would be curious to find out what exactly would be considered "ricey" Dorifto. My definition of rice was always form over function on a japanese car, and nothing says "I prefer form" more than the stretched tire look (not good for handling) with 5* of neg camber (not good for handling) on a street car that is 4" off the ground (not good for handling and have fun patching your fiberglass).

Isn't drifting the ultimate form over function motorsport? You aren't trying to get there the fastest, you're trying to make the most smoke and put on the best show, get closest to the wall, drive the worst line possible, etc. If there were ever a "ricey" form of motorsports, it would seem that drifting would be it. Maybe you could argue that a hydraulics competition where they're spinning the bed of the truck around might be more form over function, but for actual driving of a vehicle it's gotta be drifting.

Please understand that I'm not saying that the drivers aren't skilled, or that there are no redeeming qualities to the cars, just that they are built to make a show rather than go as fast as they possibly can.

Is my definition of ricey just completely wrong? :?

I hardly think the Japanese Drift style is ricey in any way ... I love that look - you know' date=' zip-ties holding on your front bumper (I did it with my Grand Am, actually), tattered bodykits touching more pavement than car, the wing you could shave the roofs of tunnels with ... I love it! I want something like this pic - [url']http://www.geocities.com/dorifto_motorsports/land_cruiser001.jpg[/url] . Notice how the front and rear under-diffusers jutt out at the bottom, and how the sideskirts are flat or slightly jutted out - this is what I would love to see on my Z! I'm a big fan of the Japanese VIP-car style, and would like to integrate that with the drift style and apply it to my Z. Now imagine my 2+2 with a kit like that, about 4 inches off the ground, with 14x10 wheels out back and 14x8 up front with the "stretch tire", about 5-degrees negative camber on all four wheels,

add a big wing like Drftn280ZX's design, and the fender flares of the car in this pic - http://www.geocities.com/dorifto_motorsports/DSC00136.jpg -, and that's exactly what I want. As for your kit, Drftn, I was going to comment on the rake of the front airdam, but you said it would be swept back like on an EVO, and that's more what I was aiming for ... it would look positively b****in' ...

I'm a little late on this one as I haven't been following this thread, but I'm confused by the above statement.

I would be curious to find out what exactly would be considered "ricey" Dorifto. My definition of rice was always form over function on a japanese car, and nothing says "I prefer form" more than the stretched tire look (not good for handling) with 5* of neg camber (not good for handling) on a street car that is 4" off the ground (not good for handling and have fun patching your fiberglass).

Isn't drifting the ultimate form over function motorsport? You aren't trying to get there the fastest, you're trying to make the most smoke and put on the best show, get closest to the wall, drive the worst line possible, etc. If there were ever a "ricey" form of motorsports, it would seem that drifting would be it. Maybe you could argue that a hydraulics competition where they're spinning the bed of the truck around might be more form over function, but for actual driving of a vehicle it's gotta be drifting.

Please understand that I'm not saying that the drivers aren't skilled, or that there are no redeeming qualities to the cars, just that they are built to make a show rather than go as fast as they possibly can.

Is my definition of ricey just completely wrong? :?

Ok, so the wide wheels and low ride height aren't great for handling. That's exactly what they are aiming for. Minimal bodyroll, great amount of grip (I'll explain in a minute). The low ride height is good for aerodynamics, and looks. This sport is all about putting on a show indeed. But to put it on is no easy task. "choosing the most horrible line", sorry but that's incorrect in the drifting world. The perfect line on a track is actuallly used in drifting. The only difference is the entrance speed. (much greater than normal motorsports) and the technique. (In drifting they are trying to slide, where normally it would be just opposite). Also they are trying to go as fast as possible but while sliding and staying in "control". Also the form over function thing is all wrong. NOthing on a drift car is put on without a purpose. The bodykits induce dowforce as do the wings. The low ride height allows the air to be controlled over the top rather than worrying about the bottom. Also HP is very neccessary to the sport. MOre HP, faster spinning wheels more smoke, more points for being showy. In all accounts drifting is the anti-motorsport. You do everything that you wouldn't want to do except spin out, to please the judges. Rice is a very sterotypical word, it can have both positive and negative vibes. What most people see is big rims , big wings , and bodykits, and low ride stances. What most people fail to see though in real "rice rockets" is the power that can be made from a small engine. Drifters work with anywhere from 200-900+HP. Back to the big wheel thing. Skinny tires may seem right but with 300+ HP (most have this) some grip is neccessary. With HP the wheels can spin faster thus relieveing the car of grip, the wide tires make up for this loss in a small way. Just enough to keep control of the car. Plus hey whoever thought wide tires and rims looked bad, plus they create lots of crowd/judge pleasing smoke. Very purposely full. Also to add my 2 cents, I've ridden with a D1 pro, and I must say, it not at all hurky jerky like you may think,(bad handling), you actually feel more like your floating over the ground. Hope this bit of info helps.

"choosing the most horrible line", sorry but that's incorrect in the drifting world. The perfect line on a track is actuallly used in drifting.

I actually watched a TV show on drifting night before last. I couldn't tell you who everyone was or how old the show was, but they were focusing on Rhys Millen trying to get his new GTO setup correctly if that helps. They were using an oval/road course. On the oval the cars were trying to get as close to the wall as possible while making the turn. That is NOT the racing line. Then there was a left/right chicane, and the idea was to get as close to the retaining wall for the right hander as possible, basically sliding sideways right at the wall, then catching and missing the wall by inches. Again, WRONG line for racing. Big time. Like a ultra hyper early apex.

Guest RCNSC

But JMort... you can't say its not entertaining to watch!

jic-drift.jpg

drift5.sized.jpg

I just hate all these guys trying to turn their cars into "drift style" cars just for looks. Thats RICE. Regardless of your stance on it, the cars styles are purposful (if not always attractive) and people are just trying to be like their 'drift idols' - You know you're not gonna drift it into a parking spot or slide 90 degrees onto an on ramp...

Guest RCNSC
IMO, and it's just MO, drifting is about as entertaining as synchronized swimming. You know there's something sexy going on, but for some reason it's still not worth watching.

Ahahaha LOL :lol:

Guest Dorifto_Tuning

I love that synchro swimming joke, j. So far, all comments on drifting I see as correct - with the exception being the racing line. I've never followed a "correct" racing line while drifting (be it because of bad shocks, driver stupidity, overused handbrake, etc), and I am fairly erratic, but smoothness comes with practice. I couldn't agree more that drifting is a showy sport, and yes, it is pathetic to see all these pseudo-drift cars running around, when they can't even lay a stripe in the K-mart parking lot. All this drifting crossfire has inspired me to devote a page of my site to drifting ... comments, questions, and suggestions welcomed. I will not say I'm an expert in any sense when it comes to drifting, but I'll say I know a good bit, not to brag. I won't force people to think drifting is purposeful or ideal, because I don't swing like that. I will, however, say that it is a growing sport, and like anything new and out-of-the-ordinary, it sparks controversy. But what fun would it be without controversy? I happen to like the jeers and evil stares of the local grip and autocross gang in my area when I'm sliding past them in a blaze of glory, spraying them with remnants of my toasted BFGs, and they see no point to it besides showing off (understandable, I just planted rubber on their nice cars ...). I plan on professionally competing in drift events with my Z in the near future, and I already slide-ass around the local canyon roads on a near-daily basis. I'll be the first to say, there's nothing like driving your car out the passenger-side window ... Drifting is what I do - hell, my shop is dedicated to the art of the drift, and I don't see drifting dying down anytime soon ... so until next time friends, drift on! :D

okay tell me if I have this wrong. In a full 180* turn the racing line starts at the outside and as you go around the turn you aim for the inside of the turn right.

#2 in an "S" ,(aka chicane) the racing line would be start wide then at the first apexof the turn (where the turn chages direction) you aim for the outside of the second turn (aka the indside of the first turn) and then finally as you finish the chicane you aim for the inside of the turn. Am I correct on both?

If this is right, well most D1 pros aim or these lines but also compinsate for the slide because the car will take up more room on the track thus the line appears to be changed ut usually they are aiming for the racing line, if I got that part right.