HybridZ

Calling all SR20 Powered Zs!!!

SiL-LadY

Well... after looking at many forums today... i dont know why i have never joined hybrid Z before.... i have heard and stopped by this website many times before... and now... i am a member. I have seen many cars that i have seen in mags and their own personal website.... this... is amazing.

But besides my adoration... i am in need of help. Like many in this forum... i am a hybrid Z... the name says it pretty much... SiL-LadY. I own a 1977 Fairlady Z and is swapping in an sr20det. But i need help. I am having trouble with mounts. Mr Sr240z... i looked at your pics... and mounts were flawless in the drivers side. how was that done? Besides mounts... i am interested in knowing what suspension and wheels set up you (any) Z lovers are using.

THat is why i am calling all sr20 z owners.... for the knowledge that you guys own. That i hope you will pass down to me. If you guys dont even own the sr20 powered Z... but know about this swap... please feel free to help me.

But besides help with the swap... i would also want to know great set ups for sr20det. Im talking about numbers...equations. Such as T88 + Greddy Air intake + 264/272 cams + 1000CC injectors + ECU TUNED = MILLIONS OF POWER = RIDICULOUS TIME at the 1/4. Well maybe not like that... but you know what i mean. I would like to know great set ups... and upgrades for the sr20det.

WHy am i posting all this...i dont know really... i just hope to get help by other peers... and be part of the Hybrid Z. Thanks all

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest ON3GO

Alex (sr240z) has 8inch coilovers, and watanabe R wheels (lucky bastard :D)

his Z is very sweet and loves his SR20's in a Z (again lucky bastard:D)

ill see if i can get him to chime in on this thread.

also remember most if not everybody that has a SR20 in there Z doesnt drag race, all are pretty much set up for road racing and auto-x.

best of luck.

Mike

Alex (sr240z) has 8inch coilovers, and watanabe R wheels (lucky bastard :D) also remember most if not everybody that has a SR20 in there Z doesnt drag race, all are pretty much set up for road racing and auto-x.

Well its 10 inch coilovers and dont forget about the all so beautiful Dorifto.

Thanks guys for the replies. Yeah... sr240z is one lucky guy. Any plans of upgrading the turbo there mr sr240z? What is your main application for the car? Drifting? Racing? Track?.... that set up looks pretty mean for me.

That was the same turbo i was planning to use... it is still a battle between the t3/to43 or the 25r.... i understand the mid-range power of the sr20.... the faster spool up of the 25r.... the lag of the t3/t04e... but its the power potential of the turbo i am after... i think in the end i will end up going with the 25r...its 80% sure right now. What type of manifold are you planning to upgrade to? (or are you planning to keep your stock one>?) Are you also going to do a top mount or keep it bottom mounted?

There doesn't appear to be much of a weight difference between a race prepared L6 240Z and a race prepared SR20DET 260Z.

My 1970 240Z with a NA L6 weighs in at 2260 with all steel body panels, bumper, and a full interior. Amir's SR20DET 260Z weighs in at 2163 with no interior, fiberglass hood, fiberglass front bumper, one seat, and no rear bumper. Adding a CF hood and rear hatch to my car gets the 240Z weight down to about the same as Amir's 260Z. Weight distribution is identical (48F/52R) with my L6 moved back and down.

There might be, at most, a 100lb weight benefit from the SR20DET engine over a normally aspirated L6 in any of the 240/260/280Z chassis.

I haven't fabricated my SR motor mounts yet so I can't be too much help there. I can tell you that they will be welded to the frame rails and will be positioned in such a way as to use the SR's stock mounts (engine side). I had kicked around the idea of connecting my new mounts to the OLD ones... but that would be overkill and, IMHO, alot of unnecesarry work.

As far as power goes... I'm likely to run a Microtech EMS and tune the engine stock. That's right...stock! Once I get the motor dialed in and running purrfect I'll start messing with it. I want to track EVERY change that is made to the engine. IMHO (again) 'tuning' is much more than just slapping parts on there and mashing the pedal.

My car is going to be set up for Auto-X'ing and perhaps some larger track events... so I'll be gearing my suspension set-up in that direction. Again, though, I won't be making any radical changes to it until I can get it out on the track and guage the cars attitude.

Interior, Exterior, Wheels... Top Secret for now! :D:shock:

Your goal is a 1:28.1xx at Willow Springs Big Track. My L6 powered 240Z does a 1:28.2xx... :D

Watch your back John... I'm a comin'! :D Lol... I'm a firm believer in the saying: "Too much car... not enough driver". I'm not enough of a driver to give you a run for your money... yet. :wink:

'tuning' is much more than just slapping parts on there and mashing the pedal.

Tuning is what you do after slapping on the parts, mashing the pedal, and the car scares the poo out of you because it constantly does something totally unexpected.

Tuning is what you do after slapping on the parts, mashing the pedal, and the car scares the poo out of you because it constantly does something totally unexpected.

For instance, with lack of tuning I've learned that 1/4" of rear toe out is a bad thing. :D

hey john... when you were talking about the weight difference btw the sr in the 260 and your l6 in your 240z... you were talking about the 2 seater right? Do you have any guesses with a 2+2? I know i should gut out the interior.... carbon fiber hood and trunk? From Who?

Guest HolyLlama

Well since all you people here are SR20 powered, I have a question. What is the difference between a USDM SR20DE and a JDM SR20DET besides turbo and prolly compression