HybridZ

Calling all SR20 Powered Zs!!!

SiL-LadY

Do you have any guesses with a 2+2? I know i should gut out the interior.... carbon fiber hood and trunk? From Who?

I don't have an definitive weight numbers for the 260Z 2+2. My guess would be that it's about 150 lbs heavier then the 2 seater 260Z.

Gutting the interior is a pretty drastic thing. It makes the car very noisy inside and I would only recommend it for a track only car.

I sell CF/Nomex and Fibergalss hoods and hatches. You can see them here:

http://www.betamotorsports.com/products/240BodyComposites.html

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Datsun 240/260/280Z carbon fiber/Nomex core race hood - $648.00

Datsun 240/260/280Z polyester fiberglass race hood (includes inner mounting frame) - $360.00

Datsun 240/260/280Z polyester fiberglass/Nomex core race hood (no inner frame) - inquire

Carbon fiber inner mounting frame for the carbon fiber race hood - $194.00

Carbon fiber "look" for the fiberglass race hood - $115.00

Clear Gelcoat finish for carbon fiber hood - $108.00

Those are the prices...i am rather confused. So many prices just for a carbon fiber hood. What do you mean by Carbon fiber "look"? Well... this is basically teh question.... If i was to buy a carbon fiber hood... do i just pay the 648? (what are teh other "carbon fiber related prices?)

ALso... the hood pins interested me. Where do you mount the hood pins... especially at the top part. Dropping the sr20 in my car might have to force me to remove my hood bracket now (maybe not... but it might help) Btw... did you remove the bracket on that 260z when you did his swap? Well... that carbon fiber sure does look mmm mmm good. Pricey but worth it. And those hood pins are nice touch too.... let me know

Well since all you people here are SR20 powered, I have a question. What is the difference between a USDM SR20DE and a JDM SR20DET besides turbo and prolly compression

this might help you with your question. I got this off the internet in one site... they really didnt specify if this is a usdm sr20de or the jdm sr20de (if there is even a difference btw that)

THey said that the sr20det has....

The DET has oil squirter piston coolers

The DET has a bigger oil pump.

The DET has a different front pulley.

The DET has lower compression pistons (8.3:1 vs 9.5:1).

The DET has bigger injectors.

The DET has direct ignition.

The DET has a variable intake cam, runs retarded at idle, advanced mid range and retarded top end.

The DET has mechanical shim in bucket type lifters with a slightly bigger in duration exhaust cam.

And with my own knowledge... i think.... the trans for the USDM would have to be different... do to the fact that it is transversely mounted. Even though the silvias in Japan had the option of gettting the sr20de instead of the ever so wonderful det.... but that doesnt really help.... oh well.. i tried

Datsun 240/260/280Z carbon fiber/Nomex core race hood - $648.00

That's the price for the basic CF/Nomex race hood with a primered finish.

Datsun 240/260/280Z polyester fiberglass race hood (includes inner mounting frame) - $360.00

That's the price for the basic fiberglass hood with an inner frame that let's you mount it to the stock hood hinges and use the stock hood latch.

Datsun 240/260/280Z polyester fiberglass/Nomex core race hood (no inner frame) - inquire

That's the price (sorry no price yet) for the fiberglass hood with a Nomex honeycomb core (for strength) and no inner frame. Must be mounted using hood pins.

Carbon fiber inner mounting frame for the carbon fiber race hood - $194.00

That's the additional price over the cost of the CF/Nomex hood at top if you want an inner frame so you can mount the hood to the stock hood hinges and use the center hood latch. So, the cost would be 648 + 194 if you want the inner frame on you're race hood.

Carbon fiber "look" for the fiberglass race hood - $115.00

That's the additional price for a layer of CF over the top of the fiberglass hood so you can have that bling bling look CF hood (which really isn't a CF hood, like most of the stuff you see on the street). So, the cost would be 360 + 115.

Clear Gelcoat finish for carbon fiber hood - $108.00

That's the additional price for a CF/Nomex hood so you can see the CF. So the price would be 648 + 108 for a clear gelcoat CF/Nomex hood.

The prices are high because these are real race parts that are strong, with honeycomb cores, and fit well. They are made one at a time and not shipped over from China, 3,000 to a container.

My previous car was a JDM Nissan 180sx making 395rwhp. I reached that power level with a strictly stock internal motor. (including the cams and ports) I already have and was using the Electromotive Tec3 standalone, making a swap into another body very simple.

My plan is to purchase a 240z and put the afformentioned motor in it. I am living in california now, and had to leave the 180sx in japan. I stripped it completely, though. I also bought a larger turbo setup and intake manifold, TB, etc...

When I get the second motor completed, it will reach ~600rwhp at 24psi.

This car will be built for street driving and drag racing at the track. I need to figure out the most livable rear end setup that will allow for this type of power, and for drag racing... but then comfortable enough to drive around.

I already have a 240sx that I was planning to build, but I've wanted a 240z all my life. Seems like now's the time. (before I start building on the 240sx)

Hugh, great news with the S30 SR20 plans. I'm always on freshalloy and your silver 180 was awesome, I'm sure the 240z will be even better, are you planning on just using the 240sx as a daily driver and keeping it stock or are you planning to modify it also?

John,

How does the hood you describe compare too the CF hood that motorsport just started selling? I believe There's is complete for $700-750. Is that the normal price for CF hoods? Seems pricey. Is the weight loss (time gains) really that singnificant or is just another look cool and trendy while getting some performance gain as a benefit?

Carbon Fiber Hoods are all about the bling bling. If you're going to paint it, just buy the fiberglass. It's not any heavier. It just needs to be painted.

Bushido: I'm thinking the 240sx will just be transportation until the 240z is up and running. I anticipate a few weeks of down time, and the daily driver will be necessary.

I do not plan to modify the 240sx, though... beyond the suspension, wheels, and seats that are in it now.

I was considering the 1200 and the 510 as well, but every time I see a sharp looking S30, I get jealous. I want mine!

Carbon Fiber Hoods are all about the bling bling. If you're going to paint it, just buy the fiberglass. It's not any heavier. It just needs to be painted.

Well... Fiberglass (E-glass and S-glass) is approx 30% heavier than CF. For a street car there's probably no point in having a hood made of CF, but for a car that is a dedicated race car (and on a strict diet) then every pound counts.

1bad180sx...i see that your project went well for the sr motor... my goal is to hit 400-450 (maybe not 450 since the ctock block can opnly handle so much) with stock internals...well..maybe not all...we'll see... but i know a turbo upgrade is at sight. I am looking at the gt25R...handles 450 hp... but we'll see what the motor's potential will be. But i wanted to talk to you about TB. Rumor has it that not a lot of companies (if any) sell a TB for the sr20... where were you planning to get yours from? I've never seen it done... but a lot of people talk about the TB of the Rb25 as a good fit? Any feed backs on that?

Your new on this board. Make sure your tech is correct before making such definite statements.

How does the hood you describe compare too the CF hood that motorsport just started selling? I believe There's is complete for $700-750. Is that the normal price for CF hoods? Seems pricey. Is the weight loss (time gains) really that singnificant or is just another look cool and trendy while getting some performance gain as a benefit?

Haven't touched the MSA CF hood so I can't compare mine vs. theirs. Whetehr the weight loss is an advantage depends on how a person uses their 240Z in competition. I can use my 240Z as an example of the benefits.

My car weighed 2,260 lbs with all steel panels and was about a light as you can get a 240Z and still have a full interior. Replacing the 1970 steel hood, hinges, and center latch with my CF hood and hood pins saved 37 lbs. That's a 1.6% weight savings off the car. Replacing the rear hatch, glass, hinges, and latch with my CF hatch, Lexan window, and pins saved another 37 lbs. Total weight savings of 3.3%. Lap times overall at the last OTC improved by an average of 2% and a good portion of that lap time improvement was from the reduced weight up high in the chassis.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest FullBoostOrBust

Another SR240Z owner here,

Me and Alex have kept in touch thoughout almost all of our swaps, We use the same engine mount setup. I'm from NYC and am using a 98 S14 engine with stock turbo and the normal stage 1 upgrades including EVC4, SAFC2, Q45 MAF, ARC blow off valve, Segragated wastegate/exhaust downpipe, 3 1/2'' exhaust, custom front mount intercooler, SX fuel pump and FPR, SPEC clutch... Monitering is done by the Defi Link system including VSD (Heads up speedo). I am using a custom driveshaft that wil connect my R200 to my SR20 trans, basicly by cutting a Z31 and 240SX driveshaft and patching them together. click here for pics..

http://share.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=EesuGLVo1Aw

BTW anyone know where i can find an S15 wiring digram or CouGh!~1998 S14 wiring diagram

Laters!

Looks good! There are becoming more and more of us SR guys here. What route did you take with your motor mounts (chassis side)? Did you weld them to the frame or bolt them in? I see you're still using the SR's mounts... I am, too. Are you running off the SR ECU or did you go stand alone? What else are you doing to the car?

Guest FullBoostOrBust

Hey thanks, We just bolted the mounts to the custom crossmember. Had to cut the drivers side mount to clear the steering shaft. We are working on using the stock ECU, I am right now looking for 1998 S14 wiring diagrams or S15 wiring diagrams to finish this project, Any help would be greatly appriciated.

Thanks!

I wish I could help with your wiring dilema, but I haven't quite reached that part of my build-up yet. I'll be running a stand alone and, at this time, am not sure how much of my harness I'm gonna hafta mess with.

...I do have a .pdf version of the S14 FSM, though...