HybridZ

What i got for $87

Guest BigWhyteDude

Guest BigWhyteDude

Well i went in to a local pawn shop today to buy a couple boxes of bullets. I looked at the gun racks and a rifle cought my eye. It was a Yugo. M48. Basicly a german 98K mauser 8) . I looked at the price and i had to have it. Brought it home cleaned it and shot 30 rounds through it. It shoots about as good as any modern bolt action rifle. Super smooth action. Now i have to find me an enfield MKIV. :D

Andrew

http://hybridz.org/nuke/modules.php?op=modload&name=coppermine&file=displayimagepopup&pid=1314&fullsize=1

http://hybridz.org/nuke/modules.php?op=modload&name=coppermine&file=displayimagepopup&pid=1313&fullsize=1

Guest BigWhyteDude

Sure, if i see another one for close to what this one cost me ill snatch it up. Some one on here would get first dibs if i dont keep it. :lol:

Andrew

By the way how did you refinish that Nagant rifle of yours Auxilary? I have read that oven cleaner will strip it really good but, it will also weaken the bonds in the laminated wood???

http://surplusrifle.com/

look on there, there's an article on how to strip and refinish a mosin nagant m44 rifle - pretty straight forward. if i can do it, so can you.

I used 150 grit, 200, 240, 300, 400 grit sand paper, and steel wool. After I stained it and coated it with urethane, I steelwooled it when it was all dry.

Guest BigWhyteDude

Yeah thats one of the sites that i looked on to find out what i needed to do it. Ive got it stripped and partialy sanded so far. I have to go get some more paper tomorrow so i can finish. Thanks for the info Auxilary.

Andrew

Nice looking rifle. I bought a VZ-24 a lot like it about 2 years ago. With the exception of the bolt handle, and barrel length, the VZ-24, M48, and Mauser 98 are all the same. (There are severla varients of each of them, but nearly all retain the same receiver dimensions). There are a LOT of aftermarket accesories for the Mauser rifles. Just do a search on Ebay for "Mauser 98". FAC sells quite a few aftermarket mods for them as well, including heavy match barrels, target stocks, scope mounts, etc. Heres a link to their site: http://www.gunsnstuff.net/ Right now, mine looks nothing like a Mauser. It's pretty sick actually, but I can't shoot it yet because I still need to do some chamber work on the new barrel. Good luck finding an Enfield rifle. I haven't seen one in a gun store for a few years now. A company called Tristar is manufacturing completely new versions of these rifles in 308 caliber that use standard M-14 magazines. Kinda pricy thoughhttp://www.tristarsportingarms.com/m10rifles.htm Anyhoo, good luck with the Yugo.

Mike

Guest BigWhyteDude

good lord, Im not gonna take it that far Z-Tard. I may end up getting my yugo rebarreled to either .308 or 30-06. I plan on using it for deer hunting and it is much easier to find hunting ammo for those callibers over the 7.92-57. So far all i can find for this rifle is surplus ammo. Some of it is steel jacketed at that. :shock: i know 30-06 will work in the rifle with a new barrel and most likely no other mods will be needed. I have a Remington 700 in 30-06. That was the first rifle i bought for myself.

Andrew

30-06 would be a good choice, as it is about the same length as the 8mm Mauser round, and will feed from the mag with no modifications. 308 is a bit shorter, and normally needs a spacer inserted into the mag to make them feed correctly. These barrels are already threaded and chambered, and are pretty cheap to boot. http://www.gunsnstuff.net/FAC/016.asp They do require finish reaming to the correct headspace, and if done correctly will have your Yugo shooting into less than 1" at 100 yards. Probably overkill, but being able to hit a postage stamp at 100 yards makes for some serious bragging rights :twisted:

Mike

My brother just rebuilt an M48 that looks awesome. He had it rebarrelled to .308 and used a stock like this one except in walnut. Turned out looking like a real deep cherry wood expensive furniture with a maple end. Very pretty gun. Right now he has about $250 in it because the gun was given to him with a broken stock and someone already offered $1500 for it while we were at the gunshop getting a scope mount for it.

Pic is of the style of stock, but a much different color.

Dual_Grip_LH_Side_Color_75dpi.JPG

Guest BigWhyteDude

Wow 1500 for a yugo. :shock: Personaly i would have part with it right there. Then went to a gun show and bought another one as fast as i could.

Andrew

The guy that offered the big bucks for it said he had already spent $4000 having a rifle custom built and it didn't turn out half as nice as that one. Wich I gotta admit, its a beautiful and damn good shooting gun =) My brother has already said he wasn't going to sell it no matter what since it was his first(going to pass it down to his son), but might build another for the guy hehe I would too, you can pick the M48's up around here for $140-$150, the rough cut stock with the thumb hole was $60-$70, barrel and installation/headspace setting was right at $200, and he used a urethane clear paint like would be used on a car (He's a body/fiberglass guy) so maybe another $100 there, and the rest just time.

Not a bad profit for a few days work =)

no, there's no limit on firearms in CA. you just can't buy any firearms with clips bigger than 10 round capacity, and any semi-automatic assault rifles that have capability to use high capacity magazines. ie. ak47, ak74, ar-15, m-16, m-4, etc. 11 day waiting period for rifles, 15 for hand guns

Guest BigWhyteDude

I believe the assult weapon ban of 1995 goes out at the end of this year. That is if congress does not renew it. At least that what the guy at the pawn shop told me. Has anyone else heard about this?

By the way i put the first coat of stain on my stock this afternoon. Should be able to sand it tomarrow mornin. After that i am going to put at least one more coat on. When i get it done ill put some pictures up.

Andrew

The assault weapon ban will sunset in September, currently there is nothing up for a vote that would replace it or extend it. This will let you go out and put flash hiders and collapsable stocks on your post ban weapons. I think it will also allow the importation of foriegn made weapons again, but I'm not 100% sure about that. Either way, I'm still stuck owning the bolt action stuff out here in the Peoples Republic of Kalifornia. All my evil black guns are in Arizona :D

Mike