HybridZ

I need opinions!!!!!

Guest JAMIE T

I haven't wanted to say it. But, I will. How about some bolt-on ZG flares? They keep the awesome Zcar styling while offering about 1.5" more tire clearance. Some don't like the bolt-on look, but I and a few others on this board think they are completely bitchen. My '71 has had them since the early '80's. It was the reason I bought the car in the first place. I didn't want to mention it becuase if you put them on your car I would be jealous since I am putting a built LT1 in my car too, then our cars would be too similar. I have 17x9" wheels and 275/40/17(rear) Advan A032R's for my car, but haven't installed them yet. BUT, since I am on the right coast and the only way our cars will ever be near each other is across the Internet, then I say ZG flares and 275 sized drag radials.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

with that wide of a tire and flares you wouldnt be able to have the car very low, I like my car to sit as low as I can get it without scraping my exhaust, I dont like the look of a Z when it's too high, if you have seen a SCCA ITS 240z with 15 panasports, thats the look I like.

well, then what are you gonna do?

this is my take, you can take off the blower and drive the crap out of it, minus 200hp thats available at teh bottom or your foot anytime you want it- i would hate it after that, to be once again a civilian.

you can flare it and have it all, zg or imsa whatever, or you can see what different compounds can do for you, but with that much power, drastic measures are in order for it to stick, and with the way it makes that power, its gonna take super sticky + wide compound for it to work, and i honestly dont believe your stock fenders are gonna be able to hold the amount of rubber you need. people may like the car as is, but they arent you, i like your car how it is, but if i had the traction issues like you havem, it would be my job to see i can get it to stick a whole lot better---AND I WOULD NEVER TAKE THE BLOWER OFF OR TURN DOWN THE BOOST. some people can say flares ruin a car, and some people say putting the sbc ruined your car in the first place, me im down with your car and the way you let it be known youre not a sunday driving import race car show rice rocket sucker-youre ok in my book, make it hook with the huffer man!

ya I wont turn down the boost, I got the 65lb injectors for 600+hp and the speed pro full sequential computer, I was thinking about a monster turbo because I'm tired of how unrelaible the blower is, always throwin belts, blowin up, but I already have it and a turbo setup would cost me to much$$$. I like the blower when it works, the sound is crazy, it was so loud it sounded like a airplane, people would trip out when I rolled by and thats what I liked, I'm just gonna get some stickier tires, I would be happy if I could get it to hook in 3rd.

Coming into this late but I'll echo the 555Rs. I had them on my Supra daily driving and IMO they stuck GREAT in the rain! Unfortunatly they also wore out so there are now regular 555s on all 4 corners now. The Z has 245 45 17 555Rs on it if I remember right with 225s up front. To do it again I might have kept my 15inch Panasports :( Still, the 17s look nice but raise the car up a bit which you've already noticed it seems.

Switch to a pair of 555Rs and see how it goes. A 245 should fit the stock wheelwell if it's spaced correctly - I'm using Mustang offsets. The 555R hooked DEAD on my Supra and would actually bog the motor if I wasn't careful. I've got them sitting in the garage on another set of rims, ought to take them out for a spin sometime soon to see how they don with the new turbo :D IF the 555Rs don't hook you better THEN consider more expensive changes, start cheap and work up! After tires I'd consider springs - let the rear squat some. Zs seem to hook well squatting and your rear suspension can handle it from the sounds of it. If that still doesn't do it maybe consider some way to kill off lowend torque using the Speedpro..... Keep us posted and let's see some more pics man!