HybridZ

Alright I know this one probably gets asked a lot....

Guest bastaad525

Guest bastaad525

Well I finally took care of all the $$$$ debts I've been having to pay off for the last few years, and now that I"m gonna be able to put some money away at a nice pace, I've pretty much decided that I want to either a) install a 350 into my '72 Z or B) find one already done. I've seen more than a few V8 Z's on here go for $5k or less, so I'm setting that as the high end for the amount I will start aiming to save/spend. So I"m wondering (and I tried to search for this first but I am really having trouble with the search engine on this site) what would be like a bare minimum price I could do the conversion myself for? Say if I found a decent used motor and tranny, then bought whatever hardware I need from JTR or Motorsport Auto (I figure about $2500 for the full kit) and then the labor cost, which I have a guy who will do it for "less than a grand" and that's about all he can say. The Z is already very fixed up with a 2.9 liter L28 in there and stuff like suspension already done, so this would really just be just the engine and tranny swap oh and a radiator I guess. Also, what engine/tranny combo's can be had for cheap (say less than $1k used)... I mean like what donor year/make/model cars should I be looking at? Hopefully an engine putting out close to 300hp at the crank?

Another question... what do you think I could sell the Z engine and 5 speed for? It's an L28 bored out to 2.9L, with flattop pistons and an N42 head (10.3:1 compression), 480 lift 270 duration cam. The clutch is an ACT six-puck, on a lightened turbo ZX flywheel (16lbs). It would also include Motorsport 3-2-1 headers and newly rebuilt Ztherapy SU's that I bought about 6 mos ago. What'd be a good asking price?

Let's just say that you'll be money ahead by buying a completed car. There have been quite a few NICE cars for sale on this board in the very recent past. The blue one from the military guy in Texas was perhaps the biggest bargain, and had custom bodywork to boot.

Doing it yourself will cost $5000 at the very minimum. It may cost less, but these things just snowball in a hurry. There are deals out there, but you gotta be looking.

Davy

Guest Anonymous

Well,I have a 77 280Z and I'm in the process of doing one of these conversions myself.I've sat down and done several figures on this conversion and they all seem to add up around $5000.That includes the V8,Trans,Interior,Paint Job,All Of The Work That Has To Be Done To The Suspension To Get It Right,(Shocks,Brakes..etc.).I figure that I'll be coming out good anyway.I decided to do my Conversion the hard way,seeing that I'm building a brand new engine.It's the most expensive route to go,but at least you can fix it up right the first time and not have to tear into it later unless you want to 'soup' it up more.One thing that I would do to the engine,if you plan on in the future,I would go ahead,tear it down,put a set of 10:1 Comp Flattops in it,New Seals..etc.All of the inportant stuff.You can always add a cam or whatever later.That's the biggest thing that you have to tamper with.However you decide to do it,it's going to cost a bit,but it's like everybody on this board says,It's worth every second of it.Good Luck!

P.S.Now,I plan on selling my Chevelle to do this conversion.So,that means that this one is going to be a Hot Rod.If you're new to this V8 Conversion thing,no matter how many people tell you that you won't,you will need some reinforcement to the frame.I plan on warming up my engine a bit,so I'm still sorting through the details of what exactly I need to do this reinforcement.

Izzy cheers.gif

Didn't Ron Tyler document a swap that was something like $1500? This was complete. The link I use to have to his site doesn't seem to work anymore or I would post it.

Depends on how resourceful you are and what you have to start with. The biggest budget buster seems to be the "snowball" factor or the "while I'm at it" factor. You can do a no frills swap fairly cheaply.

For example, JTR says get a complete motor and trans out of a late 70 carburated car and drop it in as is. They give a number of soemthing like $1000. But most people can't stop at that.

It is when you start adding things like ceramic coated headers, custom gages and a few grand in wheels and tires that the expenses bloom. Paint alone could eat up a $5k budget (but that is not really part of a swap).

In your case you have the majority of the expenses covered. I see complete LT1 engines and automatic transmission on ebay for $1500. This will get you near the 300 crank HP you want. Add another $300 for the JTR kit, $200 for a Griffin radiator (or get your stock one re-cored for half that), another $400 for exhaust, budget maybe $150 to have the computer reprogramed, $200 for driveshaft work and lets say $100 for a FI tank. The only thing left will be the gages and the swap itself. Offset this with the at least $500 you will get for your old engine and trans and it comes up to around $3300 (including the ~$1000 of labor). There are all sorts of misc expenses, but that is part of the labor.

Not bad for a fuel injected, sweet running street motor. Just make sure the "guy" doing the swap has done a FI swap before and knows what he is getting into.

Yeah i have to agree with the above posts. The engine and trans are the cheap part. The other misc. stuff will eat you alive

Exhaust

Driveshaft

Rearend

brakes

suspension

wheels

nuts and bolts

Radiator and hoses

fuel pump

shifter

gauges

You WILL get the mindset of:"since I'm spending all this money on the conversion, I might as well do it right and make it look pretty and do it right"

That is what has snowballed my project. I was planning on a drop in and go project. That was 3 years ago!!!, and I'm still not done.....it will never really be done, I suppose.

Tim

I would do it myself, that way you can spend time to clean up and de-rust the car, instead of just throwing something in there that will twist the hell out of the car and make things worse.

Plus, the day I spend $1000 for someone else to do work for me, is the day I'm celebrating my 70th birthday.

Guest Anonymous

There has been some Hybrid Z bargains pass by this website in the last 6 months. As memtioned by Tim 240 Z and others the nickle and dime stuff will eat you alive $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Guest bastaad525

Yeah I've seen some great deals... most of them way too far away though but a couple nice CA cars... just hoping by the time I save up the money there are still some around to be had. I would prefer to buy one already done anyways as that way I can keep my current Z just the way it is... though I don't think I'd ever drive it if I had one with a V8! As far as the nickel and dime stuff if I built my own.. well really I wouldn't have the choice to do that. Once I save up X amount of dollars I'm gonna have to be able to do it with that amount and have the car done quickly, as it's my only source of transportation. I know guys on here do get carried away buying all these other little things and body work is a killer but I don't even car what it ends up looking like :-P I just want it to be fast and handle well. The handling is already taken care of so now it's all about HP.