HybridZ

Stock Exedy Clutch Slipping at 8 psi

Sean73

I've got about 300 miles on my stock Exedy clutch. I've been taking it pretty easy on the clutch, (no hard launches, etc...). Well, I decided to go for it and went for a WOT run. The clutch slipped like crazy at the 2-3 shift at 5000 RPM and 8 psi. Is my clutch ruined? Or do I just need to break it in a little more? 8 psi is not much, but I do have 8.8:1 compression and should be putting out more power than a stock L28ET.

I should have known this would happen. It would have been so much easier to install a performance clutch while I had the engine out. I think I'll give this clutch a little time and see if anything else happens. Need to check the clutch hydraulics and see if everything is in order. Any suggestions?

Guest bastaad525

Weird... I'm running the Daikin stock style disc and heavy duty pressure plate, I believe Exedy is the same stuff as Daikin, or so I've been told. I run 10psi and have gone over 500 miles on it so far and get on it pretty regularly, as well as doing quite a few rough clutch slip launches, and have yet to get the thing to slip.

I hope that this happening to you is not a bad sign..... I had a feeling it wouldn't hold but so far has been fine.

Guest bastaad525

Weird thing is the guy told me this pressure plate that he sold me was a 'heavy duty' PP, but it was REALLY cheap, and was also a Daikin part. The pedal pressure is still stiffer than stock (it's also WAY stiffer than the pedal in my Sentra), so I dont think the guy lied to me about it being stronger than stock. The whole set (clutch, PP, and bearing) was like $125... which really had me worried. But again... at 10psi, 200hp and 234ft lbs to the wheels, and slipping the hell out of it some times, it hasn't slipped on me yet, actually getting close to 1000 miles on it.

It wasn't my idea... jmortensen actually was the one who suggested to me to try switching back to a stock style disc from my grabby, stiff, chattery ACT six puck (which had done a number on the pressure plate and flywheel) and just use a slightly stronger than stock PP... he was pretty confident this combo would be good up to my 250rwhp goal that I've set.

Sean, did you upgrade the PP as well or just put in an Exedy clutch disk? It may just be that the PP is too weak but, if that is the case, i would rip it down and replace the PP with something stronger before you really burn your new disk out. Just my opinion.

I bought one of those $125 Ebay Exedy kits, and like Bastaad525, I had heard some good things about these stock kits at moderate boost levels.

It was advertised as the heavy duty PP. I'm guessing that to save costs, they use the same PP for 81-83 ZXT, 84-89 Z31 NA, and 84-87 Z31T, and would default to the heaviest duty PP of those apps.

To complicate matters, I am using a 5 speed tranny out of a 720 4x4 truck. The clutch engagement is towards the top of the pedal, which makes me suspicious, that maybe I am not getting fully engagement, thus causing the slippage. Out shopping for slave cylinders, I found that the truck slave cylinder has a shorter rod. Maybe with the shorter rod, I'll move the engagement point to the correct position. Just a theory, I hope it works.

If not, I'm going with the Exedy Racing clutch with organic disc, and HD PP.

Guest bastaad525

Funny you mention the truch tranny... actually the guy I bought the clutch and PP from told me that the PP was from a datsun truck, and was heavy duty to be able to handle carrying heavy loads or towing or whatever w/o slippage. I've actually talked to a friend of mine who ran this same setup in his turbo 280 and loved it, and had no slippage problems either.

the slave cylinder rod sounds like the likely suspect... I really dont see how 8psi... barely over stock, would be causing that clutch to slip like that w/o some other problem.... if mine can hold 10 being driven like a maniac, yours should be able to hold 8...