HybridZ

How about an 89 240'Z'X?

datsunlover

Well, I have the oportunity to get a FREE 82 280zx 2+2... and have a line on a verry cheep 89 240sx. The free datsun is an auto (yech) doesnt run, has no ownership, key, and a rough underbody. (like that last one is a suprise..) The cheep 240sx is in great shape, but needs some minor body work and has crappy steel rims on it. (isnt it the same bolt patern as the z's? cause the 2+2 has the 6 spoke mags on it.. heh heh..) Well.. I happen to have time on my hands, and a basic undrstanding of photoshop.. Here's what I'm thinking..

http://hybridz.org/nuke/modules.php?op=modload&name=coppermine&file=displayimage&album=178&cat=0&pos=0

Its just a quick one (took 15 mins of choping/pasting and some 'smudgeing') but you can see the idea.. I think it would work ok.. and heck.. a nice reliable car, good on fuel, but it'd be cool to cruise around in for sure! I always thought the 2+2 looked akward/odd in the rear end.. but if it was 'raked' up a bit more.. sort of like the 944, or older euro/british cars.. it starts to look kind of mean.. Plus it'd probly add some headroom to the 240sx. Im pretty sure this hasnt been dne yet... and yes, Im aware it would have to be welded/thought out very well to be strong and safe... :lol: What do you guys think? Am I off my rocker here?

Guest RCNSC

Why not spend all that money it would take to make this happen and just make a nice daily out of the 240SX? They are cool cars and are sweet with SR20/built KAs. Forget the 280ZX unless you're gonna use parts for your S30.

Is the 240SX DOHC?

Guest HolyLlama

Unless someone did an engine swap it's SOHC, 91 and up have the DOHC KA, 89 and 90 have the SOHC, although getting a DOHC engine shouldn't be too hard, the redneck junkyard where I buy most of my parts at have 3 DOHC engines and 1 SOHC. They've got 4 90-94 240sx' and 1 89 model. One of the 90+ has the engine in but the heads are gone and the engine's rusted solid, so I didn't include it in the engine count. They pulled the other engines out and kept them in a building with the other good engines.

I like the 280zx and the 240sx, I have 2 280zx' and a 240sx, but god, a combo would be sickening. And I don't mean sickening as in cool.

Well, it was just a random thought that passed through my head.. As for the free 280zx 2+2, primarily it is going to be used for parts; for my 280z. (engine block to build up, rear end with C/V's and disk's, maybe a working FI system, ect) I figured I'd show you guys here the strange things that go through my mind.. thought someone would understand maybe.. :lol:

Yah.. I did the back end first, and liked it so I continued with the front.. thought...maybe it'd look beter with an s30 front clip like that red one that was posted here a while ago..

It looks like I'll be getting that free 280zx, and it's gona go out to my boss's shop for now (no other place to stick it!) so I may start taking some actuall measurments to see if it's possible.. And as for welding, heh.. theres a Limo co. around here that made a stretch Chrysler minivan.. and an old school one at that! (87 or so) I might go talk to them.. or just do it myself with my boss's welders (220 mig, tig) just to learn how to use the Tig.. :lol: I'll let you know how it goes..