HybridZ

iPod in '73 Z

mzx0

Topics of "t3h r33t suBw00Fer Setu!P" seem to generally be avoided on this fine forum, as we seem to be mostly focused (and rightfully so) on the mechanical performance of our Zs. I do, however, have a dilemma of pure hybrid nature. It's just a hybrid audio system, not a huge, Ferrari trouncing beast of a quad turbo v12 falconer in a 2000lb Carbon fiber 240 or something. Anyway...

In a very wise move, last summer, I put my meager tax return toward the purchase of an iPod (http://www.apple.com/ipod), which I would now like to play in my Z. Heck, I bought it so I could play it in my Z. I hadn't even bought the Z yet. :D

What I would like to do is make a little dock for it which will fit in the ash tray and hold my iPod at a decent angle. That angle will be decent because it will allow me to use it and it to fit with the charger plug which I will run under the center console. (Monster Cable makes a really cool low profile charger which I will incorporate into the custom dock.)

Anyhoo, the iPod uses a proprietary connection type called the "Dock Connector." This connector combines powered Firewire, an audio Line-Out (like the second audio jack on Sony Walkmen, the constant volume one for plugging into a stereo), and a whole bunch of undocumented stuff (Apple? Undocumented features? Nah...) So, I'd like to have some sort of system which made obsolete the stock radio. As in I've already taken the thing out. I want to be able to play the audio from my line out to my speakers with some volume control in-between.

How do I do this? Radios have little mini amplifiers in them, right? Would I have to run the audio to an amplifier and then through some sort of potentiometer or something before going to the speakers? Are there amplifiers out there with volume control and the channels to run a standard-ish system? Ie: having two front and two rear channels, not one or two subwoofer channels? Keep in mind I'm not a bass fiend.

So, thanks in advance for your answers. Here are the solutions that are out of the question:

Running a tape adapter to my stock radio.

Using an FM transmitter.

Here are the ones I'd rather not consider:

Dissembling the radio and making the iPod connect to the tape channel.

Taking my Audiovox CD receiver out of my Sentra and putting it my Z. (many Audiovox models, like mine, have aux. inputs on the front.)

Thanks,

Max

I was thinking aout doing this with my 40GB iRiver:

When I wanted to add a sub to my stock stereo I had to buy a line converter thing. it was a little circuit board with four wires coming out of it that you had to connect to the +/- of the L & R speakers. what this circuit board did was convert this signal into one set of RCAs and a useable signal for the amp.

Since the amp can run off of this, and sense volume by the converted volume voltage from the stock speakers, then the same should be true of you hooked one of these converters to the headphone jack of any portable device. you could then adjust the gain on your main amp to compensate for any signal loss or lack of volume control you might have.

All my music is oh-so slowly being converted to MP3, I am sick of carring around 100CDs and always digging through them. I dont listen to the radio (because radio is a sick joke) So it would be nice if a setup like this would work that way I could get rid of the stereo in my car, and just carry around my MP3 player with me.

Think something like that would work?

• 1 month later...

I currently have my ipod hooked up to my head unit via an aux input in the rear of the unit and have the ipod mounted exactly where u want urs..the ashtray :wink: ..

aboutl the amp think..belkin (I believe that's the brand) makes a cig charger with a built in amp. you might wanna look into that...

I have an FM transmitter that I use with the ipod when I drive other cars, I really recommend "hardwiring" the ipod versus the FM trasmitter..

and about the cradle you want in the ash tray..i dunno about ur car, but my transmission tunnel gets kinda hot sometimes..might wanna consider that..

good luck...and of course post pics when your done :D

• 5 weeks later...

well, if it were me (wich i might be in a couple of months or so) i would buy a regular cd deck and plug it into the aux in the back, so it would all be hidden. Almost all decks nowdays have an aux recieve in the back. And since alot of decks come with 200W peak power and 75W RMS by 2 channels, there is plenty of power unless you want subs. I'll be going with a pair of infinity kapa sieries 6 inchers that i'll be mounting behind the seats. My car is a 81 ZX, so slightly different set up. I don't know how i want to mount the ipod yet though.

Guest Zachb55

ive had a few friends tell me that head units are starting to come with inputs on their faces. these units are obviously aimed toward mobile hard disk media. what is interesting is i read an article concerning this but had no luck when i asked the guy at cartoys about it the other day. oh well, ill keep searching....

-Zach

• 4 weeks later...

I tried several FM transmitters including the iPod and they all really stink. I live in a pretty highly populated area where a 'free' frequency is rare so there was a lot of cross talk and overlap whenever I tried them. I finall got so sick of it I started looking around about 3 years ago.

Now, almost all current head units have an AUX input and many have them on the front. I went with a cheap AIWA w/ 55w X 4 channels and front mounted AUX input for $189.

Take your pick:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-PBUXa3oTF5V/cgi-bin/ProdGroup.asp?g=62700&avf=Y

My wife has an Alpine with rear AUX input in her Outback and I've got a Pioneer with rear AUX input in my Durango. In both I installed RCA cables with an 1/8th inch stereo mini-jack that terminates in the ash tray. That way, when the MP3 player isn't in use the wires are tucked away out of sight in the ash tray.

My 80GB Archos plugs right into all three and my wife can use the same connector with her 20GB iPod and we don't ever have to fight over who get's to drive what car because all of them are hard wired now! Unless of course we're riding together...! That's when the fight is ON!

I also use an AC/DC inverter tucked away under the passenger side of the dash.