HybridZ

getting new exhaust for my z

philiow313

well i failed smog, the cat was destroyed.

the shop is putting a high flow cat on, 2.5" pipes, and a glasspack muffler with a tailpipe to look stock.

ill take a sound clip/vid when i pick it up tommorow, and ill post it here.

first mod to the new Z!

btw its a 1981 280zx non-turbo 5 speed.

i have a AVI clip, bout 520kb that needs to be hosted. anyone?

it sounds really good. i still have a backfire though, youll hear it in the clip. anyone know a common reason to have this problem? i passed smog but the CO was a tad high... too rich? bad o2? i dont know this car very well yet on a technical standpoint. haha.

I really feel for you guys in Cali with all the smog requirements. I know its supposed to be for the envrionment and all that jazz but here in SC we do not have state inspections any longer, too many shops were just slapping a sticker on the car as well as complaining that they were not getting a high enough fee for inspections to begin with, so the legislature withdrew the requirement that vehicles be inspected...net result ..many of us run without any smog devices as well as had the converters taken off as well...sure make a difference in performance...

Carolina Z

personally have no problem keeping the cat on my ZXT - when I went to 3", I did a 3" cat too. I may lose 1-2 HP, but feel better about not polluting as much.

Of course in order to get registered in the Metro Atlanta area, you have to have a cat, but I'd do it anyway.

I read somewhere that in the case of the LT1 (and probably the LS1/6) engines, that the use of EGR allowed advanced timing and better fuel mileage while cruising. Under full throttle applications, the EGR didn't work. To my mind, with (factory) computer controlled cars, you don't lose much and in fact gain a lot with the standard emission controls.

I'm not saying they can't be improved on for better performance (tweaking ignition and fuel maps), but don't think the trade-offs in removing emissions is worth it.

JMOHO