HybridZ

240Z hood vents

IdahoZ

I am seriously considering hood vent for my 72 240Z, as it will receive a 400 sbc very soon and a little help cooling the engine compartment will be needed. I have looked at using Pontiac Grandprix GTP vents, 280Z vents, even Camaro vents. Has anyone tried installing other type of vents other than using a stock 280Z hood? Dosen't look like it would be too difficult to install some vents, just not sure which vents would look good? Any suggestions would be appriciated. Has anyone installed 280Z vents in a 240Z hood?

Thanks.

[/img]

I like the Reaction Research vents on Dan's car. Very nice. It looks like you started with a 280Z hood?

I tried to photoshop some Pontiac vents on my hood to see what they would look like. Kinda cool, but not sure if I like the shape of the vents?

http://hybridz.org/nuke/modules.php?op=modload&name=coppermine&file=displayimage&pos=-1485

I don't know how to post photos, so I uploaded the image into the Photo Album and provied a link. Hope this works. :?

If you wait long enough, a new picture will show up from Dan and Tim if their awesome hybrids.

On a side note....Dang it, this is the last time I log on after drinking two (yes, only 2 measly beers) beers. I keep hitting the wrong keys, I have to batrack on every sentence, and I just now uturned my can over on the keyboard. Jeez!

Guest ON3GO

lightweight huh terry :D..

thats ok, i rather be one! i have to spend some major money on beer to even get me sorta buzzed..

why o why did i have to start at such a early age!!

Mike

You're funny Terry. If you ever make it out to California stop at my place. We'll get a six pack and the both of us can get completely bombed. :cheers::bonk::lol::puke:

Oh ya. Yup, just an off the shelf '77-'78 hood. Those vents will work on your 240 hood too though. Just cut some holes and stick 'em on. That 3M tape is incredibly strong. Lot of guys don't trust it but I bet if you preped the surfaces right it would stick for good. GM, Ford and every other carmaker uses it to hold stuff to their cars. I should talk. I embedded studs in mine like Nissan did. Was a pain in the butt. Next time I'll use the tape.

Thanks Terry,

I really wanted to go with a single large opening like yours but didn't want to lose the hood bulge either, so I went with the other route. I was always wondering how a stock bodied Z would look with a simple flat or curved hood like the 3rd gen RX-7s?

Owen

I cannot imagine a Z hood without the center bulge. Now to expand on what you said about your original vent that you wanted, consider the GT40 (not sure which model) that was required by the FIA to carry a spare tire. What the designer did was basically keep the large radiator vent, but then inserted the round spare tire container that intruded into the up-ramp at the rear half of the vent, thus almost splitting the vent into two left and right halves. I looked very good, and had I kept the L6 motor, I would have done the same. I would have built the hood pretty much as I did anyway, an then build a bulge of sorts that would fit around the front of the valve cover (as part of the hood), thus splitting the vent into a left and right side.

Now this picture is a huge exxageration of what I'm talking about so don't all 'yall go bombarding me with "that's a different car altogher!" posts :D

I always liked how some cars had "talller" fenders than the hood. And so was wondering if the Z would look good at all. With the Z's round headlights, maybe would make it look too much like a Porsche?

E500_S7front.jpg

Owen

I have wondered the same... and have seen some of the kits that give a taller fender to the Z... not too keen on them. I think it would have to take some cues from that pic you just posted, more of a wide body approach, so the tall fender has somewhere to go to as it blends back into the body. Not to score brownie points, but I think you could start with the BlueOval Z and kinda work from there. Also, might be better to try and lower the radiator support and hood profile slightly, so that it isnt just the fender creating the effect, but a combination of lower hood and nose with the taller fenders, which is the impression that silver car gives me.... Perhaps an angled radiator like some of the RX7's do when going with large FMIC's and such.

This issue was one of the things that I wrestled over as I was making the front clip. The OEM Z design does, to a minimal degree, raise the fenders up slightly higher than the hood, which is one of the many characteristics of the Z I love. To do this and widen the fender for wider tires, I had to flatten this curve (profile of the fender's top) out so that it would not end up too high where it breaks over the tire's sidewall.

Yeah, this would definitely require wider fenders and a lower mounted radiator, nothing I would do just to experiment with...just wondering how it would look.

Terry, I think you cut out the top radiator crossmember area and angled your radiator forward, did you cut out the lower portion too?

Owen