HybridZ

R180 VS R200

Guest Heater

The strength is not so much in the ring gear size (200mm vs. 180mm) as its in the differential unit. A R180 with a Nissan Comp LSD or a Quaife will be able to handle more horsepower without breaking then an open differential R200. And a R200 with a Nissan Comp LSD and/or a Quaife will be even stronger.

I ran 320 horsepower through my R180s for a few years without any problems. All the R180s I used had Quaife ATBs.

When you get into some big horsepower numbers (400+) then the ring gear size plays a more important part in overall unit strength. Jeff Priddy has had problems with R200 ring gears failing at the 600+ horsepower level.

As a broad generalization, if you can run a R180 without breaking it then you're better off. Its lighter and has better driver's side halfshaft angles then a R200.

• 3 months later...
Guest rick458

I know this thread is WAY old but, if I go with the GMPP deluxe engine

330 hp 380 ft/lb and a good 200-R4 in my 260 the Auto should be easy enough on the rear end for the 180 to live a long life right?

Also is there a fairly inexpensive way to LSD the R180?

I know Quafie will sell me the parts for a grand but what about a

Powertrax type setup?