HybridZ

240Z T56 Transmission mount

I'm still fairly new here so I hope I'm doing this correctly.

David was nice enough to respond to a post I made in the Speartech Harness topic, but I think it should now move to a new topic.

I am planning on putting an LS1/T56 combination into my 1973 240Z. John's transmission mount currently will not work in this year Z. David mentioned that he used the JTR crossmember.

Has anyone else tried this?

David are you using the DAT-106 part from JTR?

The DAT-106 doesn't look a strong as the transmission crossmember that John makes. How long until John has one that will work in early model Z's?

Thanks,

Bart

I've got the JTR trans mount in my lt-1 t-56 Z and it has held up well. Almost 10 years now with many many track days and no issues with the trans mount or any other JTR part for that matter. Good stuff. I just got another jrt mount to use on my ls1 car now being built. Mark

An OEM T56 has the rear mount positioned about 1-1/4" lower than the T5 or the 700-R4.

I would not recommend the JTR crossmember (DAT-106) due to potential problems with driveline angles. The DAT-106 may raise the back of the T56 transmission too high.

I believe the simplest way to mount the T56 into the Z is with a crossmember made of a straight piece of steel, 3/8" thick, 3" wide, and 23" long. Almost any steel yard can provide the material for less than $10. Look in the phone book under "steel"

The exhaust will go over the transmission crossmember.

This is shown in the JTR book on page 5-11

We used the JTR crossmember on the Tomahawk swap (LT1/T56). No problems, and we were able to get really good driveline angles, no vibrations at all. However, I don't know if the LS1 T56 has a different mount position than the LT1 T56. Also, I have heard (only rumors, no specs) that John's kit mounts the motor higher in the engine bay than the JTR kit. I'm presuming this would be the location of the crank since the motors are completely different. This would also have an effect on the driveline angle.