HybridZ

Is this a JTR conversion?

Guest ericmendenhall

Guest ericmendenhall

Hey, can anybody help me out here?

This car was up on eBay, and I'm considering it:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1875241348&category=6187

But the motor looks too high and far forward to be a JTR.

Present owner has no idea.

Is there anything I can ask him to look at or take a picture of to know what kit it was?

After looking at this site for a while, I want to definitely go with a JTR, and would rather not do a "re-conversion".

Thanks

Guest ericmendenhall

Thanks, everyone (wow that was quick)

Yeah, I've read enough posts about the scarab position vs JTR; I'll wait some more.

Re-conversion is probably a pain, I could SAY I'd do it later, but ya know how that goes...

(Yes, bidding is closed, but I'm talking to the seller directly.)

Guest ericmendenhall

It is just what I want, except for JTR.

How hard is the re-conversion? I'd think a few hundred for the jtr stuff, then some exhaust work.

What do you figure for dollars and hours?

Maybe I'd be into it.

Whaddaya mean "FL327"? It's a 350 now; does it look familiar?

The guy posted it on Hybrid Z before eBay, but no takers. Last eBay ended with nobody hitting the reserve.

Guest Anonymous

Davy Z and Pete have good advice ..try it first.. Not only JTR mounts but drive line shortening,shifter relocation,possible throttle linkage. That pretty radiator hose would have to go with JTR. This may be a very old conversion with an interesting history. Looks vintage Scarab without the 327.

the 'reconversion' itself is very easy, just time consuming. the changes that are necessary involve shortening the drive shaft, cutting the stock tranny mount ears in the tunnel, shortening the exhaust, lengthening tranny cooler lines and rad hoses, and changing to electic fuel pump if it was equipped with a mechanical fuel pump. shifter relocation and throttle linkage adjustments are possible as mentioned by Tomohawk Z above. it's not a weekend project. a plan, the parts, and all the right tools are necessary to see its fruition.

as far as dollars and hours, that's up in the air depending on what all you want to do, but it can get out of hand. i have completely fallen victim to "while i'm at it..." and have spent much more than i originally planned to for the reconversion.

i would have to agree with Davy Z, Pete, and Tomohawk Z in trying it first. fwiw, drive it, enjoy it, and get used to it. you can change it later if you want. i wouldnt discount it either becuase of the scarab/hooker kit. i had absolutely no complaints about how my car handled with the scarab/hooker kit. if you do get that car, you wont be thinking about the kit when you put your foot down.

Originally posted by ericmendenhall:

[QB]...Whaddaya mean "FL327"? It's a 350 now; does it look familiar?...QB]

Inside joke actually. It looks just like Len168's old car, FL327 (Fairlady 327), except the description is slightly different. If it was FL327, I would not buy it :D lol

Davy

That's a pretty nice looking car, at least in the pictures. If you can go look at it and it's as nice as it looks, I'd buy it if the price is reasonable. You can drive it a while and decide if you want to move it. Making it a JTR will be less trouble than a complete new conversion. If what's there is nicely done, it's probably OK. If it's butchered, hunt another one.

John

Guest Anonymous

Okay,I'm mad... :mad: .You just encouraged me to spend another $700 to $800 when my Z restoration is complete!J/K.Thanks for your help.I checked out your pics on your site and man,you have a nice Z car there.Does it drive and accelerate as good as it looks?I like that exhaust system too.What kind of trans do you have hooked to that engine?

Izzy cheers.gif

thanks again for the complements. :D it drives and accelerates really well in my opinion. i drove it back and forth to work for three months, but it's really a bit much for a daily driver. however, the engine is on a stand right now so i cant say it drives well right now.... the transmission from those pics is a th350 that i no longer own. i have a freshly rebuilt 200-4r ready to go in with my re-cammed 377 when i get the car back from the paint/body shop.

the exhaust from those pics isnt going back on the car. i'll probably reuse that exhaust on another car, but i have full length s&s headers and will run duals after installing a fuel cell. and while i'm at it.... :rolleyes: