HybridZ

rear swaybar mounting?

I've done a search, but most of the mounting questions concern where on the chassis of the car the bar is mounted, my question is whether or not the rear swaybar has an endlink like the front, or is bolted directly down on the control arms, as mine is currently, and was when i bought the car. I believe that there should be something lifting the swaybar up, and I think this could be a cause of the excessive roll i have been experiencing. If there is supposed to be a link of some sort, please point me in the right direction to find one of these.

Boy, I had to grimace on that one. There absolutely should be a link of some sorts between the control arm and the end of the sway bar. This sounds almost too absurd to believe. A link of various lengths can be bought at almost any speed shop. If worst comes to worst, go to the salvage yard and find a link similar to you front one and use them. But the very first thing I'd do is see if there is some obvious reason why this was done like this, and then see if any permanent damage has been done to the control arm.

well, i replaced the struts a little while ago, and there is no visible damage other than mild chafing...there is, at least, a bushing keeping it from being direct contact. Thanks alot and I will probably be making a trip to autozone soon.

well, i replaced the struts a little while ago, and there is no visible damage other than mild chafing...there is, at least, a bushing keeping it from being direct contact. Thanks alot and I will probably be making a trip to autozone soon.

If you've got a stock ride height, with stock swaybar location (280z, front mount type) then I'd say 3-4 inches on the link (I prefer, at it's set ride height, to have the arms perfectly horizontal). So if the car has been lowered, or other things have been changed (gone to a rear-mounted bar, or using ZXT shafts, etc) I'd suggest shorter links.

here are some very large pics of what ive got currently. I fear that if i go with something 4 inches long I will have clearance issues with the halfshafts. Also, given the yellow, i dont think this is a stock bar.

544529_81_full.jpg

544529_82_full.jpg

:shock: AHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!! :shock: That's the same bar I had on my 280! Dude.. if your car is a 280z, get that thing off of there!!! Trust me, it will do damage! I was going to mount it like that, but decided it would be better OVER the drive shafts. No dice. Like I said, it just doesnt work on a 280. If it's a 240, it should work with small endlinks (2" maybe?).. but it doesnt look like there's enough clearance there so I'm assuming its a 280 you have..

Guessing from the photos (VERY LARGE PHOTOS, 10 minutes on dial-up photos) I'd say you've got about an inch and a half between the bar and the narrow part of the shafts. If this is so, you got some room to play with. The bar's arms will follow the up and down movements of the shafts to a certain extent, so go ahead and close that gap up with a link. I don't mind saying that whoever did that job, did a hatchet job on this set-up. I'll bet the brackets clamped around the upright move, or slide, on the upright judging on how it is mounted around it (per the rust markings on the upright above the bracket.

If possible, see if you can shrink the photos down a bit to aid us "dial-up vagrants" some speed.

Thanks so much for the photo downsize. Now I can see the whole thing without scrolling. So, are the long-shank bolts holding the sway bar onto the upright bracket (which are loose) this way when you examined this for the the first time? With only a single bushing sandwiched between the arm, and the bar, makes me wonder why the bar does not hit the control arm rear edge whenever the suspension compresses. Quite a mess.

Guest quadcamZ

See how your mostache bar goes infront of the two uprights is that menat to be the case on my 260Z with a R200?? mine runs to the rear of the uprights.

blueovalz,

I am not sure if it is loose there, but once my endlinks arrive, I will make sure, and if they are i'll just weld a bead on top and bottom to keep it in place.

Quadcamz,

I am pretty sure I have an r180, as it would have come with the car and I dont *think* the previos owner replaced it. though i havent really taken a good look at it.

Seeing what you have there I wouldnt be surprised if your car handeled better with out a bar at all. Without end links the suspension is really binding. Do you have sudden oversteer problems? The other thing to consider is the actual mounts of the bar on the chassis are thin and flexable. They will break! Throw the bar away. You will have a better ride.

Douglas

eh, I would rather get it mounted properly than take it off. As it is my car rolls quite a bit in corners, I am hoping to get rid of some of that. Thanks for the suggestions though.

I think I will get a section of box tubing that is the same length as the distance from the frame section to the sway bar mount and weld that to the frame and mount the bar to that. Honestly, I hadn't even taken a look at how the bar was mounted before now, I will take care of it.

That will work zero. Seeing that you are handy with welders and such you could make the end of the bar adjustable that way you would have more tuning options. The easiest way I have seen is to weld a strip steel on the bottom of the sway bar mount that has holes drilled along it for different pick up points. Pretty easy to do. Your end links would then ned to be adjustable to work, but thats not to hard to figure out. :D

Douglas