HybridZ

L88 style hood scoop?

Guest 305240

Guest 305240

When I come up to an open hood on one of our hybrids that has just been shut down or running, I'm constantly astonished/appauled at the heat generated under these hoods. Living in this hot climate makes me want to keep mine as cool as possible. Here's the thing...In reading the archives about the different hood vents/scoops, I've come to the conclusion that the L88 style would be just the ticket. I may be wrong here. I have an extra 280 hood and was thinking of making an L88 style hood out of it. I know I have the capabilities to do it. I know I can order one from JcWhitney fairly reasonable, but then I wouldn't be able to say "I made it."

The question is...Is the L88 the best style for cooling the engine bay? I am also have working on a set of plans for twin heat exhaust fans that suck out more heat. (To me mounted in the rear fender well area somewhere.)

Any thoughts/feedback would be greatly appreciated...Thanks

The L88 is a cowl induction hood.

I guess if you leave it open at the back at all times, at no/low speeds it would definitely vent air out, but at higher speeds it might not help and maybe would do the opposite *lower floq theogh radiator to engine compartment) AND cause front end lift (high pressure from the cowl).

I had the L88 on a SBC 240 back in the day.... didnt notice the slightest difference in temps, but it was handy for knowing when a backfire had resulted in flames under the hood... I didnt like the lessened visibility... dont know that it was enough to be dangerous, but enough to be annoying. My taste in hood venting has been forever changed by several members here, most notably BlueOval....

I have the L88 hood scoop on my 73 now. I get compliments on it all the time, and it sets my z apart aesthetically. Currently it is not a functional cowl induction. You have to cut it when you buy it. I am about to have mine cut for CI as soon as I'm finish the turbo swap. I can't ever get pics to load on here but I'll email you some if you like to see how it looks.

Guest 305240

Hmmm, :bonk: back to the drawing board. My next idea was to raise the bulge in the hood and make it a CI. I do like the hood vents Dan Juday is running. I still think the heat scavenging set up is also a good idea tho. That will be constant.

Guest 305240

Thanks for the info Larry. Why is it tho, every time I get a brain fart, someone has already done it? One of these days....I'll come up with an original. I had considered using the fans and ducting out of a 911 porshe for the lower foot area. There is some on ebay going quite reasonable. While I'm in that area, I'm also going to extend the cowl drains to exit just under the fender lip.

• 6 months later...