HybridZ

What's The Best Exhaust System?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Even though my 350 is just now starting to be built,my biggest barrier is what I am going to do for an Exhaust System.I have everything else worked out so far as I know unless I fall victim to that "Well,might as well do it while I'm at it" bull.I know at this moment I'm going to purchase a set of Dynomax Jet Coated Block Hugger Headers.That's all that I know so far bonk.gif .I want my Z to have that 'Muscle Car' tone,kind of like glasspacks.What is the best diamater in exhaust piping to go with?I thought about running split pipes until the transmission tailshaft and putting a Y Collector and going to a muffler and tip.But,I like the glasspack idea best of all.The glasspack mufflers are cheap at $17.99 a piece rockon.gif .I didn't at first want to use a Converter but,since I know that I will have to one day anyway I decided to go ahead and let the muffler shop put one on with the rest of my system instead of me doing the system myself and getting busted for it later down the road.I actually thought about a Flowmaster 30 Series muffler from Jeg's,but can't exactly bring myself to it.But,I'll probably enf up going with the Dual Glasspacks 2thumbs.gif .

Also,I wanted to ask if there are any Z car owners that have those SSteel-Flex Engine Hoses for their Radiator Hoses??I can't decide if I want to bring myself to spend an extra $200 on 2 of those or just go with the cheaper rubbers.Even though I'd never have to replace the Steel ones again unless they was badly damaged.

Anyway,I've taken enough of your time.If you can though,let me know what the best exhaust for my Z car is.

Thanks!

Izzy Middleton cheers.gif

Guest Anonymous

Are you talking about the sidepipes that were a factory option on the old Dodge Chargers?Damn,that would really limit the ground clearance wouldn't it?I like the idea though.

Izzy

Guest greimann

I think you will find that once you actually get the car up on a lift to do an exhaust, there is precious little room for a full length glasspack. Personally I would stick with 2 1/2" dual into a single 3" and a single Dynomax muffler. There will be no mistake that you have a V8 in there. Exhaust tone also has a lot to do with system length, and there is little chance of duplicating the sound of a Chevelle, in a short little Z.

As far as steel flex hose for the radiator: Cheesey, but that is my opinion, I may be wrong. I think it takes away from a neat appearance and draws unnecesary attention to a part that is not particularly attractive anyway. A nice bright supercharger yes, radiator hose, no.

Guest Anonymous

I did a little measuring last night after I posted this message and you're right,no room for full lenght glasspacks lol.I'm just going to get the headers,run a 2.5" pipe to a Y Collector behind the transmission tailshaft and run a 3" pipe to a Flowmaster muffler and Hooker tip.What kind of Flowmaster muffler should I go with?I was thinking about the 10 Series 2 Chamber.But again,I'm lost twak.gif lol.Anyway,any help is appreciated!

Izzy

greimann gave excellent advice on the dual 2.5" to y-pipe to 3" to dynomax. i'd recommend the hooker tip and the flowmaster y-pipe, but not the flowmaster muffler. i'm using one of the 40-series two chamber race mufflers. it looks good and sounds good from far away and has a deep tone... but it resonates really bad and it changed to some strange copper color after a little use. people know you're coming from a mile away, which gives them a little time to get to the front door before you pull in the driveway.

dynomax would probably be a better choice, but the edelbrock mufflers are supposed to be really good, too. keep in mind that you need something that has a length short enough to fit in the stock location (~15", i think...) and have enough room for the 3" pipe to get to the inlet. i'm going with the edelbrock or borlas for my next exhaust.

fdfebef9.jpg

negatory on the bumblebee tone. i think you would have plenty of ground clearance, but i'm just not a fan of sidepipes... but that has to do with wearing shorts while valeting a viper back in the day... note to self: next time, pay more attention to the label on the center console warning about the heat...

Guest greimann

That annoying bee buzzing is the result of a small displacemtnt 4 cylinder. Theh Dynomax Super Turbo is a nice mello, but free flowing tone. The Dynomax Ultra Flow is a straight through design and louder. I think if you were able to poll the experienced V8 drivers here about their exhaust systems, they will probably say that having an exhaust that is too loud seriously takes away from the driving pleasure of the car. Go with the Super Turbo, you won't regret it.

Guest Anonymous

Yeah I know what you're saying on the burning sidepipes.I had the same thing happen to me in a small wreck with a Harley.Of course it probably wasn't as warm as the 350 V8 sidepipes would be seeing that I had leather pants on.I just kind of like the look of the Z that I have pictured in my mind with sidepipes.It would be loud though going by the description on the page from JC Whitney.Here's the page if anyone wants to check it out:

http://www.jcwhitney.com/product.jhtml?CATID=14714&BQ=jcw2

Of course,I want mine to be centered under my doors unlike the set on that truck.But,I still am really leaning towards the Dynomax muffler.Sounds like a winner.

I always wondered why those damned 4 cylinders buzzed like that.That just gets on my nerves :mad: lol.

Thanks for all of the Help!

Izzy cheers.gif

Guest Anonymous

Oh yeah...If I did get those sidepipes for my Z from JC Whitney,what could I coat them with to keep them from rusting or peeling?They're coated in chrome someway or another and I know how chrome gets after a while lol.I was thinking clearcoat..would that work?That and a good coat of Mother's Polish should pretty well take care of them I think anyway.Any suggestions?

Izzy

Acutally, if they are chromed well, just polish them with Simicrome (sp?) or Mother's Billet polish once in a while. I'm not sure how wax holds up on very hot exhausts, but it works well for chome bumpers, keeping them free from rust spots (here in Cali anyway).

Davy

Guest Anonymous

Well,I don't know how good they are chromed.They're $169.99 a pair.I think that the link said that they were made out of 18 gauge steel construction,but didn't say how they were chromed.I was thinking that they polish would do it though.

Thanks!

Izzy cheers.gif

Guest Anonymous

I just sent an E-Mail to a company called 'Stainless Specialties' and asked what they would charge to fabricate a set of Stainless Steel Sidepipes with Preforated Guards.If they are cheap,which they won't be,that'll probably be the way that I go.I have a feeling that the JC Whitney pipes are going to rust and peel lol.I know one thing,this Stainless Specialties has a set of sidepipes already made for a Corvette,which would work,they just don't have the guards,for $309.99 a piece.That's expensive,but you wouldn't have to worry about it rusting or ever losing it's shine because of corrosion.

Izzy burnout.gif

Guest Anonymous

I found a pic of a 240Z with the sidepipes.Bad as hell!Check out this link:

http://zccw.org/Club/MembProfile/Lewis/bluez.jpg

His look like the JC Whitney's.They do come pretty low though,but it's about the same clearance as my air dam.Plus,with those Weld Rims that are going on mine,that should give it at least an inch or more of clearance,so it should work.

Izzy cheers.gif

Hey I've got a set of those J.C.Whitney side pipes, new in the box. For sale, $100.00 Plus shipping. But I'm must tell you, I wouldn't use them on a V8. 3 inches outside, about 1 3/4 inside. They came with a bunch of parts when I bought one of my Z's. Not a high flow muffler.

Guest Anonymous

Are those pipes made of any kind of high quality stuff at all?They do have the mufflers in them correct?I was kind of wanting some that didn't but I can settle for them if my deal goes bad with this Stainless Specialties corporation.I'll let you know.

Thanks!

Izzy cheers.gif

Izzy,

If you want a nice exhaust system pattern it after Pete's. I had the body shop cut another exhaust relief in the roll pan and ran my dual 2.5in out both sides instead of craming it all into one side. In order to do this I had to use a fuel cell. Just my opion but those side pipes look really cheesy.

Thanks, Tbuck!

My exhaust: http://mywebpages.comcast.net/pparaska/exhaust.htm

It's heavier than a 2.5 dual to 3" single though. And more expensive. But it'll flow a good bit, and the sound under full throttle is like a NASCAR with mufflers. It is a bit loud, but not too bad. Mike and Michael heard it lately.

Ah, careful! Remember that 'beauty is in the eye of the beholder!' Some people think out Z's look stupid, but we surely don't think so. Same thing is true for side pipes. They are not what I have envisioned for my Z car, but I'll leave someone else's dream alone.

FWIW, I have seen one side pipe job locally on an orange Z car---very trick looking! It had the curly chrome headers coming out from under the front quarters right behind the front wheels to a relatively short all chrome (no shield) side pipe. Baaaaaad.

Davy

Guest Anonymous

Hey Guys...Thanks.I like that exhaust.I checked out your pages and it all looks nice and sweet.But,it's like you said Pete,she'll talk to you lol!I think that I'm going to try a set of sidepipes for a while.I just kind of like the look and idea.Nullbound is gonna hate me for copying his idea on using those rims lol.

Pete,I wanted to tell you that your V8 Conversion is what made me decide to do one myself.I looked at tons and tons of conversions and your's by far is one of the best and cleanest that I've seen.You have a nice 240Z!

Izzy cheers.gif