HybridZ

Does Sectioning Strut Tubes Lower Car??

Hey, guys. I did a search and couldn't find the info I was looking for.

Anyway, I need to section my strut tubes because of my 1.5-2.0 lowering springs being installed. However, I don't want to lower the car any more than it already will be.

I am no engineer, but it would seem to me sectioning the strut tubes would lower the car even more, correct?

I am sure the lower spring mount could be raised, but is there a way to section the tubes, keep the same ride height, without moving the lower spring mount?

Thanks for the help guys.

Section the tube above the spring mount if you're not running coilovers. This is not a good idea with coilovers because the weld will have to be ground smooth for the threaded sleeve to slide over and would probably be weaker.

John

For several years I ran coil-overs without sectioning the strut housings. The car was lowered approximately 2", and I had very little shock travel left in the front shocks. I killed two sets of front shocks by bottoming them out.

I just recently sectioned my front struts and installed the Koni 8610 adjustable dampers per johnc's write-up in the sticky section of this forum heading.

I deviated from johnc's instructions by removing the material from the top half of the tube (removed 2.125 " from just below threaded end). Removing the section from the top makes the weld interior more accessable for clean-up. I wouldn't be afraid to remove the section from the top half as long as the weld is done properly (TIG).

Thanks for the replies guys, but just to be clear I have no plans to go with coilovers, just stock type lowering MSA springs.

One more thing, I don't want to sound ungreatful, but neither replies answered my main question:

Does sectioning the strut tubes (alone) lower the car's ride height?

Section the tube above the spring mount if you're not running coilovers. John

This reply answered your main question. As long as you don't change the stock spring mount it will not affect your ride hight. Your MSA lowering springs will, but you will have more travel with the shortned housing.

Does sectioning the strut tubes (alone) lower the car's ride height?

No if, as stated above, the spring perch is welded back on the strut tube the same distance up from the hub casting.

But... you're taking 1.5 to 2" out of the length of the strut tube so you have to source different shock inserts. Those shock inserts will not have as much travel and the originals so the car has to be lowered or you'll top the shock out and possibly blow the seals.

I guess I didn't understand what the first two replies then, my mistake. No offense was intended.

Okay, just because I don't want to misunderstand. If I section the struts ABOVE the spring perch, this mod alone will NOT change the ride height, is this correct?

As far as the struts themselves....

I had planned on taking 1.5"-2" from the front strut tubes, then running a REAR MR2 strut insert. Same goes for the rear strut tubes, except running FRONT 280z strut inserts inside them. If any space is left inside the tube with the new length tubes and inserts, I'll just make some type of spacer to keep everything tight.

Does everything sound good?

Guest trickz

I cut below the purch it drops the car what ever you cut (2" for me) I use stock height springs (2"lower) and the ride is fine.I built my car as a driver and it works for me . If you ues short springs and cut the struts you will drag. 8) Trick Z