HybridZ

Looking for opinions/advice on purchace of 'winter beater'..

datsunlover

Ok heres the deal; I have been wanting a 4x4 for a few years now (my 2 wheel drive V6 slushbox king cab is AWEFULL in the snow) and have come across a 'deal' (yah, a fixer) ; For $1500 obo; TWO 89 Nissan Pathfinders. Both 5 speed 2 door V6, both have light hit on pass. side front (yah.. weird..) but its not major, just a fender and light.

Anyway, the one 'better' one runs and drives. 4X4 works, clutch and brakes feel great, body's not too bad (will need some fiberglass slaped in a few places, no big deal) and needs a tail light, hatch (rotten) front windshield, door handel, marker light, and exhast. Pretty much ALL of that I could pull from the OTHER truck (which doesnt run due to a lack of fuel pump, and is REALLY rotten, has 300K on it, ect) but heres the 'big' problem..

The rear spring perches (on the 'better truck') are ripped off the frame in the back. :shock: I guess anyone that knows Pathies will know what I'm talking about.. basically, I'd have to get some triangular pieces of plate (Im thinking 1/8 at least) and weld them to the perches, then weld back to the frame.. I think it'd be fixable (I work in a machine shop, can weld and fab) and the rest of the 'stuff' it needs I could do easily. It wouldn't be pretty, but it would get throug the winter.. What do you guys think? Good deal? Bad Idea?

Guest goldraven

just get an AWD subaru. you could probably pick up an early 90s for fairly cheap, and it'll run fine for you. I've had mine for 3 winters now and i stick to the road in snow. just my opinion.

on the pathfinders, it just sounds like alot of work to get it running nicely when there are plenty of other options.

just my thoughts,

Nick

Seems like an awfull lot of work for a beater. I think you could probably find a 4X4 ranger, dakota, or S10 for about the same price and it most likely wouldnt be rotten. I say move on and find 1 truck that is in decent shape.

I have a 96' Dakota 4X4 3.9L V6 and its great in the winter(when I have good tread on my tires). My stepdad laughs at me because I have 4X4......yeah well he wasnt laughing when I could get out of the driveway last year when we got like 12" of snow in one night! :lol: and his 2x4 F150 was Stuuuuuuuuuuck! LOL Yeah I dropped it down into 4Low and pulled his a$$ right up the driveway when he got stuck(1/4 mile driveway, yeah I live in the woods!). He just went back in the house and didnt say much! HAHAHAH LOL :D

Guy

Guest SeanyD300zxT

tend to agree with the other guys, thats a bunch of work. last summer I err 'restored' one for my brother, the body didn't look too bad....rockers sucked on the one side...every thing worked...needed new oil seals in the front blah blah blah...anyways...once I started tearing into it....found out the body was a dump....soo...new floors, rockers and rear quarter sections later, he now has a pretty unstoppable beast. if you plan on keeping the beater and have the time/cash flow, go for it...but if the body is bad in visible places..you can bet it sucks where you cant see it. is it the rear spring perches on the axle or on the top of the spring by the way? if its on the axle, you might want to consider the other axle in the other truck, welding big brakets to an old axle, might not be fun. they're great trucks though..so just...weight you options I guess, personally, knowing how bad that truck (my brothers) is getting beaten on right now, I'll still buy it back from him when he blows the motor...(spare zed engine in ya go...mmm...boosted 4x4 fuglyness)

http://www.4x4parts.com

has a great pathfinder section too....

oh ...an their snow worthyness...great starting/turning (even if you drive it like a rwd car like jack ass me) is pretty in 2wd, 4wd the turning sucks a bit more...but stopping..thats an adventure...make sure to put some decent tires on....but that goes for any winter vehicle..good tires can save your ass constantly...an then enjoy those barrie winters

Well, I just got off the phone with the guy: Hes taking the 31" tires off (half baked anyway) and puting on a set of winter 'Blizak' tires that were on it last year when he got the truck. (heh heh.. bonus for me! :P )

And the perches that are breaking off are off the frame.. not much to weld back on I don't think. The thing is, it's TWO trucks.. and I talked him down to an even $1000. :-D

Really, Im just gona 'cheeze' it up and do a quick fix on the body/floor. I'll lay the ruberized undercoating on thick, and just drive it. If I smack it up a bit in the winter, so what.. you know? I plan on just using it for getting to work/back through the winter, and maybe some off roading fun in the summer.. but I figure, for a grand, plus a few hundred more (fix up cash), I get a 4X4... and something I 'know'. I have ALWAYS had good luck with Nissans.. so Im sticking with the brand. I've looked at a few Chevys, Fords, and I've had Jeeps, toyotas, an Audi, ect.. all of it was crap.. (in the price rang Im looking in) They broke constantly, left me stranded, cost outragueous amounts of money, ect...but even the crapiest Nissan I had ($500 200sx) NEVER left me stranded, and started all the time.. and it was cheep to run!

Casae in point, the 'good' truck of these two I'm considering has been sitting for 2 months. I droped a battery in, and it fired up BETTER than my 93 King Cab daily driver! (quite loud with no exhast, but sounded fine otherwise.) only has 220 on the spedo (less than my truck) and really just needs cosmetic stuf, aside from the exhast and spring perches. Really, the only outlay of cash is to buy the trucks, and a few parts (exhast, sheet metal, ect) and my time.. well, I need something to do after work anyway.. :lol: I figure I could get this thing in shape for the road again in about 2 weeks with the help of my buddy, and some beer. :lol:

SeanyD300zxT makes some excellent points...and you can tell he has the hand of experience!!

Datsunlover sounds like you have made up your mind to get the Pathfinder(s) so good luck...after living in Ontario and knowing the ass kicking winter does to vehicles, the salt, the moisture, I find that the best winter vehicle is just a plain jane older FWD Jap car...like a Tercel, Corolla, Civic, Sentra etc etc...these things are bears through any amount of snow and ice (esp. with just regular all season tires), reliable as the day is long, give out great heat, will start in 20below temps every time and will not leave you stranded AND gets 30+mpg!! Which you would be hard pressed to get 20mpg in a Pathfinder, and I don't have to remind you of the cost of gas in Midland!!

I say save your $$ and put it towards your Z and just buy something practical for the winter, that has always been my philosophy.

That's my 2cents.

Yasin

Weeeeeell.. the thing is, the kind of things I do for work and recreation kind of require a 'truck' of some sort.. it's a pain hauling guitars/equipment around in a small car.. if I grab some large parts at a wrecking yard (seats, transmisions, body panels, ect).. am I gona put them in the trunk/back seat?!? Got to haul a trailer or something? My point is, having now owned a truck for a few years, I can't see myself being without really.. and aside from the roof being there, (ok, cant carry tall stuff..meh.. tow it!) there is quite a bit of room in a Pathie with the seats folded down.

And as for front wheel drive's.. meh.. personally, I've had better luck in a rear drive car through the winter.. FWD ALWAYS gets some torque steer trying to take off, the back end can whip around suddenly without warning and then of course, you have to put power down 'pull out' or transfer weight back to the rear, which can mean loosing front traction, and once those FRONT wheels loose traction (like turning through an intersection.. rounding a highway corner..) wow.. it's a b!tch to get back! For all the headaches my previous 4X4's have caused me, I've found them the best for winter driving/control ablitly... and I need a truck so...

Yah.. uh.. I had a jeep, have friends with Jeeps.. hmm.. in my price range, they're REALLY rough, and just not relaiable.. it would also be way worse on fuel/repair costs. A good friend of mine has a Jeep and swears that it stands for; Just Empty Each Pocket. Im sure I could search out a good deal.. but I just tend to lean more towards the Nissan, just because I 'know' them, and have had good luck with ALL my nissans over the years.. Same reason some people are 'chev' guys, and 'ford' guys. you know? Really, I think for $1000, two 89's are a good deal.. and if things break down the road (like things always do!) I'll have a parts vehicle to pull from...

Really, I wasnt trying to ask Nissan Vs. XXX.. just looking for opinions on Pathies in general.. and if the $$$ sonds good for these two trucks.. I was talking to the seller tonite, and he figures the one that doesnt run is actually in better shape.. (aside from the body) so I'll have to see when I get into it.. (spring perches good.. motor bad.. :roll: oh boy..) Anyway, I told him Im gona take them. I'll be picking them up on friday or saturday, so I'll see what happens! Thanks for the input guys. :)

interesting.... i had a cherokee sport and currently have a 93 wrangler, and i love/loved them, no problems with the 4.0... solid engine and easy to work on in my opinion, plus no snow stops them :)

was just throwing out ideas ya know, i dont know much on pathfinders to help you out in that respect :)