HybridZ

Hard to reconvert?

Guest dankinzle

Guest dankinzle

Hey There,

I just installed headers on my scarab converted car and, to my dismay, my steering linkage blocks the bottom of the headers by less than 1/8"! So I guess I'm gonna try and kill two birds with one stone and convert over to the JTR setup. How hard do you think this will be?

Long

------------------

'75 V8 280z which is too slow.

If you have a cherry picker, it really shouldn't be any more than a weekend project. All you really need to do is get the mounts from JTR (or have them made) and get your driveshaft shortened. (I'd suggest doing this after all else)

Make sure yau have the JTR manual and follow it. All the hard parts are allready done really. You'll just have to concern yourself with new rad hoses, etc.

------------------

"Gimme Fuel,

Gimme Fire,

Gimme that which I desire"

-Metallica

Drax240z

1972 240z - L28TURBO transplant on the way!

http://members.xoom.com/r_lewis/datsun.html

http://members.home.net/drax77/newpage.html

Guest dankinzle

Thanks. Looks like I'll be able to close off those open headers sooner than I thought. I guess the neighbors will appreciate it. tongue.gif. Has anyone installed one of those things to make your car open exhaust to get rid of the sleeper effect at will?

------------------

Guest Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by dankinzle:

Has anyone installed one of those things to make your car open exhaust to get rid of the sleeper effect at will?

I can't remember where I've seen these, but I do believe it was at JC Whitney. They have cast iron cable operated cut-outs (basically a Y with a flapper valve to go from open to exhausts), I think it was in JC Whitney catalog. I've seen these years ago (late 60's, early 70's) and the big knock on them then was the possibility of them sticking (usually open!). FWIW.

Lone

quote:

Originally posted by dankinzle:

Thanks. Looks like I'll be able to close off those open headers sooner than I thought. I guess the neighbors will appreciate it.
tongue.gif
. Has anyone installed one of those things to make your car open exhaust to get rid of the sleeper effect at will?

Dan, I've yet to hear a 'sleeper/quiet' V8Z with any real street stomping power...anyone comes up with an exhaust system that's quiet and doesn't interrupt 400flywheel hp and doesn't require major floor panel surgery I'm all ears. I have a ringing in my ears (not from my car) and it'd be almost priceless to get a 'quiet' system that still performed under my car. The quiet part is most neccessary from idle to 2400rpm, at throttle can have some 'noise' but I've found so much less police attention with quiet setups, the thumpers and squealers (those with cheap tires and/or poor traction) can keep all that attention to themselves as I squirt on by.

------------------

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

Guest dankinzle

True True. I agree there isn't really a true sleeper v8Z, but I've got alterior motives to open up the exhaust. Here in Austin/UT I have this problem with Asians parading around with big exhausts thinking they're the stuff, and I figure it'd be fun to let them know what a real engine sounds like wink.gif. No it doesn't sound like a person after he's eaten a bowl of beans. Maybe they like that sound. heh.

Long

------------------

Hey Pauli - you're just up the street from me smile.gif

My Mustang has Dynomax mufflers. These seem to be pretty quiet but you still get some rumble. What I REALLY REALLY want to hear is one of those ApexI or Greddy big mufflers like what's on my RX smile.gif with a V8 in front of it! Just imagine the little punks when you look like one of them and then open up a can of SBC V8 whoop ass on 'em. Yeah, I'd LOVE to hear that - if it's quiet enough I might spring for a set but as costly as they are I don't want to be the pioneer cwm35.gif .

Hey Guys...you'd be suprised at how quiet my "sleeper Z" is! I have shorty headers and dual 2 1/2's with a crossover and terminated into two DynoMax Super Turbo's.

At idle the exhaust note could easily be mistaken for a aftermarket muffler on the original 6. Of course i have a fairly small cam profile and low compression.

The only real giveaway to the cars true identity is the hood pins.

BTW, I just raced a Supra Turbo that dynoed in the heat at 387 RWHP!!! I was glued to his fender up to just shy of 140 mph when we backed off. I don't think this exhaust is choking the car too much.

BUT...at WOT the sound is NOT masked. Let's just say when you stomp on it the cat's outa' the bag smile.gif

------------------

RickB

280V8

http://photos.yahoo.com/bornabov