HybridZ

Bondo or Evercoat?

Guest butlersZ

Guest butlersZ

Hey Guys,

After using Bondo on many of the projects I've had I feel that it does the job and particularly a good one if done right. Today a friend was lecturing me on Evercoat and how it is "far superior" to Bondo. I personally, have never used the stuff but have indeed heard of it. He says it goes on like butter and is much easier to sand as well. My friend is a body shop tech and he uses it everyday, I'm not sure whether he has had the experience with Bondo that I have had, but everyone has thier preferences and opinions. Besides, if Bondo was such crap, they wouldn't be still making,selling, and using it still today after many many years. How do you guys feel about Bondo and Evercoat? Has anyone here used Evercoat enough to find that it IS better than Bondo? I have considered purchasing some to finish the body work on my car but would like more oppinions on it than just my friends,even though he is a body tech. So which do you prefer? Or if there is another body filler out there that is better please list it.

Hey there, I am no body shop tech but I have used both products a lot. I am a model maker and those products do come in handy. I feel like your friend does too. Evercoat is smoother and comes in a wider mouthed can which makes scooping out easier. It just feels a bit creamier than bondo. Both products are the best of the ones out there though. Don't get anything from tap plastics as theres is crap. Have fun.

Guest HolyLlama

For just plain old body filler, I've always used Bondo because it's cheap and I've never seen much difference between any brand. I actually would rather use Bondo in certain situations because of it's stiffness. For example, I used bondo as a base coat to cover crevices in foam on some stuff I was fiberglassing. Bondo simply doesn't run, other products do in heavy amounts. I use a lot of NAPA brand fiberglass and specialized fillers, but they're expensive. I've used a few evercoat products and none of them impressed me. I haven't used Rage Gold, which everyone tells me is godlike, but I hate their regular filler it's too hard to sand. Every other evercoat product I've used has been decent but it never seemed to work as good as NAPA brand. The only other brand that I love is U-POL (I think that's the name) they make the best shorthair fiberglass filler period, I haven't used any of their other filler but I've always intended on it. If you need shorthair fiberglass filler, get U-POL, it works easy, sands easy, and smoothes easy.

If you need regular body filler, go bondo, anything else, get some other brand, Bondo just can't compete

Guest butlersZ

Thanks RacerX for the history info, never heard of the "plastik honey". Sounds like something I'll definitely look into. I can't count how many times I've mixed up a fairly large amount of Bondo then not being able to apply even half of what I mixed due to the heat. Even though I consider myself a pretty good "bodyman" I am definitely new at the art. I feel that I have in a sense gained enough experience with Bondo that I can now progress onto fiberglass and then maybe carbon fiber. Well I think I'll stick with what I know...for now. I'll probably try using some different brands of body filler just to experiment.

• 2 years later...