HybridZ

Should Tokico's put me this low?

Wheelman,

I ditched the Tokicos and went with Arizona Z Car "280Z Sport Springs". They are 180 lb front and 200 lb rear if I remember correctly.

Ride height is perfect. I would post some pix but car is not here this week.

Bill

I can say that every progressive spring I've seen (and I've seen probably 30 sets over the years) has had the first 3 or 4 coils bound with the car on its wheels. Some had a couple coils bound or nearly bound right out of the box IIRC.

Thanks for the input Jon. My experience of progressive rates are two different rates of coilover springs stacked up on top each other.

Wheelman; It sounds like you've had some good folks at Tokico to talk to, and this whole thing sounds like it will eventually work out fine (I'd swap out the springs as several have opined, especially in light of the fact you've still got some weight to put on them).

I've got the same Tokico kit on my car (at least the rears right now) and it didn't drop it at all over the blown stock setup.

My ride height in the rear actually raised up an inch probably.

Guest RyanSugh

I'm in the process of swaping in the same set up but I have a ford 302 which I beleive is lighter than sbc so should i have the same problem?

Ryan,

You'll probably have the same problem. These springs are meant for the weight of the L6 on the front wheels. The SBC in the set back position can't be putting that much more weight on the front to compress these springs much more than the L6.

If you are using all aluminum stuff on the 302 it might be lighter than the L6 but not by much so I'm thinking you'll see the same thing.

Be sure to let us know what your outcome is and post some pictures so we can see your ride!!!!

Wheelman

Wheelman, I have the basicaly the same set up as you and exactly the same problem. I was beginning to think that that was just the way it should be as I havn't found many posts from unhappy owners of the tokico spring/strut package.

My tokico springs say 5020-F and 5020-R and I put the Fs on the front and it looks just like your pictures and rides hard as hell and bottoms out on the bump stops.

Last night I got so fed up with the ride I swapped the springs end for end and when I finish and drive it today I will post the results, but it looks like the front is hight and back far lower - however it feels softer.

Does anyone know if the illumia 5 way shocks are different between the front and back - I installed mine 4 years ago and I don't remember. This whole thing has only recently become a problem becasue it has taken me that long to get it to the status of a daily driver.

edit

Some how I missed your responces from tokico when I read the post - looks like the LT1 is just too heavy fror the fronts. Can any one reomend a spring rate and manurfacturer to fit the stock set up.

Mike