HybridZ

Progress

EvilRufusKay

Looks like another quality HybridZ in the making :D:D .

In reference to the tilt front end: You appear to be pondering how or where to cut the back of the fenders (so that the clip can be tilted up without the rear-bottom of the fender catching the unibody. I feel you should stay with a horizontal line verses the 90-degree cut. Unless the pivot point is below the lowest part of this square cut, then the fender will rubber or "scissor" across the smaller cut off part. Also, unless proper support is offered (which entails added weight) for the long, pointy, unsupported part of the square-cut panel, air resistance will cause it to buffet in the wind. I eventually chose a single horizontal line. I contemplated a horizontal line, aligned with the top of the wheel arch, but this was too visible being the wheel arch became obviously distorted at the point where the panels come together. I finally chose to drop the joint down the back of the wheel arch enough to allow removal without too much rubbing and still keeping the wheel arch-to-joint clean (it's not on a tangent with the arch, and has minimal, or no, angles) and at a lower angle to the eyes making it less obvious or visible:

standard.jpg

To keep everything aligned in taking the front clip on and off (which has been done at least a hundred times), or up and down in your case, I installed two "ramps" or sloping sheet metal guides that allow the edge of the movable clip to slide down, spread slightly, and into position adjacent to the fixed (cut off parts) portion of the fenders.

standard.jpg

"The body parts are from John Washington. Subtle Z fronts and YZ out back."

Wow, what a cool idea! :wink:

Seriously Rufus, your plan looks great. Much more ambitous than mine with the full tilt front end. Closer to Terry's league. I like the use of the cheek panels. One of Johns great ideas. He really is a quality guy.

I had another thought on your fender cut line. How about a curved horizontal line that would intersect the fender arch at 90* and also the door seam at 90*? In other words it would start off from the door seam horizontal and as it heads to the fender arch it would drop off in a gental arch downward until it reached the fender arch hitting it at or about 90*.

Just a though. Terry might jump in here and offer some thoughts on whether this may or may not be a good idea.

Unless the pivot point is below the lowest part of this square cut, then the fender will rubber or "scissor" across the smaller cut off part. Also, unless proper support is offered (which entails added weight) for the long, pointy, unsupported part of the square-cut panel, air resistance will cause it to buffet in the wind.

Terry,

Thanks I will keep those ideas in mind. I actually considered the "scissor" action after I drew my lines. After which I also considered a diagonal line from the bottom of the wheel arch to the upper portion of the. I will most likely stick with the long horizontal cut. I have some body questions I am going to PM you about if you don't mind.

Dan,

You know....I tried really hard not to mimick your ride...unfortunately....its just way too cool not to!! :D:wink:

I am actually going to modify the lips on both the fronts and rears to give it a bit of a different look. I also have some unique ideas for the rear panel...I want to get familiar with fiberglass before I take on those projects however. I have been working on taillight ideas and have a couple mock ups but none looks as good as yours.......... :roll: .....you knew it would happen!!!! 8) :D

We will see though..I am not final on that one...yet

Tim,

Thanks for the chance to see your car up close. It was awesome!! The pleasure was mine!! :D The only events were cool ones. I saw the Cadillac Graveyard in Texas, and had a GIANT plate of BBQ on Beale St. in Memphis!!!! Ohhh Yea!!!!!