HybridZ

3 inch piping

seth

So I finally have my car running again. And it is time to get my exhaust done up. I want to go with 3", but I am lightly concerned with ground clearance, as the car is lowered already. If anyone has pictures of there 3" from the back and from under. I just would like to see how many bends I will need.

I just want to know what I need when I talk to the shop again.

Thanks all

• 2 weeks later...

Is there any way to build the exhaust with a skinny muffler that comes off at an angle out to the side and avoid those 90 degree bends?

There's a lot of exhausts like this for the Silvia/180sx (I had one on mine) and they have almost no backpressure for turbo applications.

Guest MaXbOOst

if you want it nice and smooth for a side " tuner style " your gonna have to use a bend , other wise cock it to the direction you want it , and put a fatty weld on the pipe to close gaps , but thats they ghetto way

Is there any way to build the exhaust with a skinny muffler that comes off at an angle out to the side and avoid those 90 degree bends?

If you are doing 3" mandrel, I would not be concerned about those bends. That exhaust was on the Z until it was laid to rest and took the car to the times you see in my sig which equates to about 520 at the wheels. Unless you are putting out more HP than that, do not get caught up in splitting hairs and worrying about things like not having a 3" DP, too many bends in the exhaust or I/C plumbing, etc. Focus on tuning and tuning to run as much boost as possible w/o detonation. There is lots more to gain from careful tuning than things that too many people worry about.

do not get caught up in splitting hairs and worrying about things like not having a 3" DP, too many bends in the exhaust or I/C plumbing, etc. Focus on tuning and tuning to run as much boost as possible w/o detonation. There is lots more to gain from careful tuning than things that too many people worry about.

:wink: Nicely put.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow scottie you got a nice exhuast. I got 3" straight back with an APEXi N1 Turbo model muffler but its not mandrel :( . NO one in Vegas seems to have a mandrel bender in ther exhuast shop. I probably just didn't look hard enough. Ground clearance like 4". I scrape sometimes though, my suspension is tired, I need new springs big time. My car is lowered but the cheepo way. I've got low-pro tires on my 280ZX turbo wheels. Lowered the car like two inches.