HybridZ

in car pc

GrayZee

Just wondering has anybody here ever thought of (or maybe have done) a pc installation in a car (a Z in particular) Pehaps a small lcd touch screen mounted where the vent controls are? It would be good for re-tuning the ecu, mp3's, DvD's, trip planning programs, somewhere to upload digital pictures when you are on a trip.. I realize that a laptop would probably be easier, but it would be fun to do just for the hell of it.

Your thoughts anyone?

Yeah, I will be doing that in mine, using one of the micro pc's with a via cpu.... no heat worries, plenty of power for MP3's, ect.... and small..... smaller than a shoebox, with all the basic capabilities of your desktop. I plan on some interesting mods to my LS1, and I want some of that controlled by or interfaced with a nice PC and screen in the car.

Check the latest issue of MaximumPC. The Dream Machine '04 has a cool little color LCD with a touchscreen. The article claims it was very easy to configure. Also, there are vendors that sell pc's set up for in-car use. I saw a well done one by a vendor on Ebay ($$$, though). It really isn't that hard. The main issue is a 12V power supply (hmmm, 12V...car...), also using a laptop HD that can handle abuse helps.

I've been checking this out myself. There are a few companies selling programs meant specifically for this. Microsoft even has:

http://www.microsoft.com/automotive/

I just bought a new computer, and haven't transferred all my IE favorites yet, or I'd give you more links. Look around more, they're out there...