HybridZ

MSD with Optical dist?

evildky

ok, I have searched till I am blue in the face, how do you hook up a msd box to the optical dist?

I am wanting to hook up Megasquirt and an MSD box, and the whole pullup resistor thing is lost on me, I figure if I can get the optical to work with the msd I can use the MSD tach signal to drive the Megasquirt

HELP, I am going nuts trying to figure all this out

That's not the way to hook it up. You run the optical CAS to the megasquirt tach in, and you have to use the pullup resistor - moby's diagram on hooking that up is very clear. It is really easy if you're using the relay board, just run take a 1k resistor and run it between the power terminal block and the optical sensors' input on the other terminal block.

Then you run the FIDLE out from MS to the input of MSD, and hook MSD up to the coil. That is all there is to it.

I don't know about other people who seem to have no problems with the inverted output in megatuneSS, but I had to get a special version of the MSS code with 50% dwell from Magnus. He posted it in the MSS forum on http://www.msefi.com

Good luck.

what makes a resistor a "pullup" resistor?

how do I orient the resistor?

cathode end to 12v or anthode end to 12v?

so you don't think I am gopnna need the FICV ?

I've seen that moby defeated it but I was planning on running it, do I not need to ?

then the FIDLE pos and neg would hook up to the magnetic pickup on the msd box?

I am using megasquirt not squirt and spark, is everyone else running MSnS ?

what makes a resistor a "pullup" resistor?

how do I orient the resistor?

cathode end to 12v or anthode end to 12v?

so you don't think I am gopnna need the FICV ?

I've seen that moby defeated it but I was planning on running it, do I not need to ?

then the FIDLE pos and neg would hook up to the magnetic pickup on the msd box?

I am using megasquirt not squirt and spark, is everyone else running MSnS ?

If a resistor goes from the signal to voltage it is a pull up, if it goes from signal to ground it is a pull down. Resistors are not polarized, you can put it in either way. If you use the stock auxilary air regulator then you do not need a fast idle control. The megamanual talks about the bosch air regulators so check that part of the manual out and I think it will make more sense to you. The stock AAR works by putting 12volts to it when the car if started, then the internal heater warms up and coolant passing through also warms it up and it eventually closes, so it does all of the idle air control for you. Very simple and requires no computer control to work. If you are going to control ignition with megasquirt then you have to load the megasquirtnspark code, probably the special version that Forrest used with MSD. Once MSnS code is loaded then the FIDLE pin is used to trigger the ignition box.

I don't know about other people who seem to have no problems with the inverted output in megatuneSS, but I had to get a special version of the MSS code with 50% dwell from Magnus. He posted it in the MSS forum on http://www.msefi.com

I have not converted to MSD yet so I haven't got to play with this. I did have some issues at first with the inverted output using the HEI module to fire the coil. What worked seemed to be backwards from the MSS user group suggestions.

Moby, not sure if you saw my posts, but I'm thinking the 25% dwell is just too short for the inverted output, period. I couldn't fire the HEI with it either - normal output seemed to work for MSD but Magnus said was that the resolution you get by firing on the trailing edge is really poor - even though it works, you shouldn't do it.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest JasonESi-T
That's not the way to hook it up. You run the optical CAS to the megasquirt tach in' date=' and you have to use the pullup resistor - moby's diagram on hooking that up is very clear. It is really easy if you're using the relay board, just run take a 1k resistor and run it between the power terminal block and the optical sensors' input on the other terminal block.

Then you run the FIDLE out from MS to the input of MSD, and hook MSD up to the coil. That is all there is to it.

Good luck.[/quote']

I saw that Magnus posted it therea t one time, but now it's gone.

Do you know anywhere we could get a copy of it?

Thanks!