HybridZ

300zxTT intercoolers... A good choice?

RacnJsn95

I have access to a set of 300zxTT intercoolers. I was wondering if I could just use one of them on my 280zxt, or would it not be enough? Another thought I has was to take the (straight out) end caps off and weld the cores together there. Then it would be pretty good sized. I know the core design was pretty good. What do you guys think of this?

I am a certified aluminum welder, and I have a TIG welder, so it won't cost me anything to weld it but my time, a little gas, and welding rod. I was in the sticky turbo for begginers guide at the top that you shouldn't choose an intercooler for an engine with less HP than your L28ET... Well if they 300zxTT can make ~300 I don't see why it wouldn't work for me. I'm not out to set the world on fire. I'm just looking to make between 200-300 HP.

Hey Donna, haven't seen you on the board in awhile. Still got the sweet ZX?

I am a certified aluminum welder, and I have a TIG welder, so it won't cost me anything to weld it but my time, a little gas, and welding rod.

That certainly changes the out look. Weld it up and give it a try. Don't forget there is a reason there are upgrades to the stock intercoolers for these cars. I would still do some test for pressure loss thru the cores once you get it all done.

Another thing to think about it that I'm sure they will be more efficent than the stock intercoolers due the better placement infront of the radiator instead of in the fenders.

Hey Donna' date=' haven't seen you on the board in awhile. Still got the sweet ZX?

I am a certified aluminum welder, and I have a TIG welder, so it won't cost me anything to weld it but my time, a little gas, and welding rod.

That certainly changes the out look. Weld it up and give it a try. Don't forget there is a reason there are upgrades to the stock intercoolers for these cars. I would still do some test for pressure loss thru the cores once you get it all done.

Another thing to think about it that I'm sure they will be more efficent than the stock intercoolers due the better placement infront of the radiator instead of in the fenders.

Hey Cody! :-D

Yes, I still have my Pet. Good to see you're still around too!

Gotta love them ZXT's :2thumbs:

RacnJsn95.... That's pretty cool you weld. LOL It seems like a needed thing to know while building up Z cars :wink:

This car had no intercooler in the first place, so anything would be an upgrade!

I'd have to disagree with that... An intercooler that is way too small or not efficient can actually cost you power, or put unnecessesary loads on your turbo to achieve the same power level you had before the intercooler...

I was also thinking of getting two smaller (saab) intercoolers, but the piping to parallel them will probably be a major pain. I don't have easy access to a skilled welder. Intercoolers are getting cheaper every day, so I'll probably end up getting a single one. Make sure to post a picture when you get them done, I'm curious to see that kind of setup. :shock:

Brian

81zxturbo

95slobaru

Be carefull how you weld them up. all available core tubes have to be open to the air charge to flow as well as in the 300ZX. If you just weld the cores together end to end you end up with a long 150-180 hp intercooler. All endcaps will have to be removed, The cores placed side by side, and new ends caps built (2) that have much larger hose ports (2 to 2.5 inches). The Z32 stock intercoolers appear to be able to flow 360-380 HP so their size should support you 2-300 hp goals. Another possible solution is tubing that splits charge and recombines charge after intercoolers.

IMO sell the intercoolers and add extra cash as needed to get a properly sized aftermarket. The Isuzu NPR series is another possibility which seems to fit better than most other OE intercoolers, is available at a lower cost, and should support your goals