HybridZ

Taurus fan a nogo, Zirgo fan ok?

Guest 73TPIZ

My SBC sits a little too close to the radiator for the Taurus fan to work. I ran it for awhile with the rear pilot bearing holder "owner" modified to shave a 1/4" but it finally gave way. That Taurus fan cooled way better than the Imperial 16" cuved blade fan i had. Anyone know the cfm's of the Taurus or Imperial? The Imperial mysteriously :? doesn't give a cfm rating on the box but says to use 2-14" alone or 1-16" as a helper on a V8. I've read Taurus fan #'s from 2000 to 3600cfm. I'd guess the Taurus to be 3000+ based on how good it cools.

This 16" Zirgo with the curved blades is rated @ 3300cfm. My search here showed WayneKarnes running a 14" Zirgo but no word on results. If this 3300cfm on the 16" is anywhere near the Taurus's cfm, it should work fine. It's around 4" thick, which would fit nicely in my bay. Any opinions before i buy would be appreciated.

Here's one on Ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33600&item=7920486502&rd=1

~100 bucks on ebay but I've found it elsewhere for that price. This and other projects have sidelined me from the track lately but Fall is in the air and Daddy wants to smell burnin' rubber again. :D:D

I'm using a 16" zirgo on mine but its a straight blade design and I'm only running an l28et. But even on the hottest track days and back to back passes, it keeps things in check, and its not on coninuesly, it cycles on and off. I'd imagine with thier higher output fan, you'd be fine. I know I like mine!

Tim, does this look like yours. 6 blades i believe. What's the depth on your fan?

index.cfm?p=gi&i=10130&r=4734&t=reg

I saw it pulled from a late 80's, early 90's Taurus. It seemed kinda thick to me, ~6" or so. The wife said it should be at least 8", but i said 6 is more than we needed to be happy. Oops, wrong conversation. :oops::oops:

This didn't have the 2-speed wiring (just 2 wires, orange and black). My "Taurus fan" search didn't yield specific years, but some fans had 3 wires, some 2. I'll go to the JY again with a tape measure and see if any other Taurus fans are thinner than mine. The shroud on this one fits my 26X19 Griffin perfectly. it just needs to be 1/2" thinner.

Just for reference, long WP, my dizzy is ~2" from the firewall, and rad is 1/2-3/4" behind rad support, gaps filled w/ expandable foam.

Spork, thanks for the reply, i'll go the Zirgo route if no thinner Taurus is available.

Just saw this. I think its time to go back to the JY or buy this off ebay. He says from '92 sable 2-speed.

da_1_b.JPG

Mines much thicker than this. He says 4X18X23. That would be more like it. My motor protrudes way out the back, not the pancake design as this is.

The one in the picture in your car is not the Taurus design. The one on Ebay is correct. It is 4" not 6". It may be a little snug with the Taurus fan but will work. And most definetly worth it. I just picked up two for 35 bucks at the Dallas pick in pulls last month.

All my friends are now beginning to use them. :roll:

Mike

That's good to hear guys. I'll go next week to get another. I helped the guy remove the one i had, so i know it was in a Taurus. Maybe it was a pre '90, one for a 3.0, or a bootlegged one the original owner shoved in there.

What i like about the factory fan shrouds is how they pull air from the whole radiator, not just the circle where the fan is.

Thanks for the help guys.

Take care.

Here's another shot of the two speed Taurus fan just for refference. I'm pretty certain it's from a '91 or '92. I measure just about 4 3/4" thick.

FYI, I am very happy with it. Temperature stays rock steady. I use a two speed thermostatic switch. It runs on low after it comes up to temp and almost never needs to go to high. When it does the temperature drops instantly.

fbs01r16f20.jpg

Hey guys,

My fan is a Spal unit that pulls about 2400 CFM, or so they say, but that sucker is noisy. I mean when it comes on at a light the people next to me do a double take and think I'm getting ready to take off or something.

The Taurus fans sound good, and I'm hearing they really move the air, but how are they noise-wise?

I have also been looking at the Flexalite "Black Magic" fan. Anyone using this one or know anything about it?

Thanks

Bill

Hey guys' date='

My fan is a Spal unit that pulls about 2400 CFM, or so they say, but that sucker is noisy. I mean when it comes on at a light the people next to me do a double take and think I'm getting ready to take off or something.

[/quote']

Ha Ha...the image I'm getting in my mind is hilarious!! :lol::lol:

The Taurus fans sound good' date=' and I'm hearing they really move the air, but how are they noise-wise?

Bill[/quote']

Actually fairly quiet....most OEM fans are...new car buyers don't want people next to them at traffic lights doing double takes... :shock::D

I have several two speed (three wire) Taurus fans...with both plugs (male & female) for better splicing. I was planning on 'eBaying' them when I get closer to finishing my hybrid. If any of you are in a real bind finding one, or miss the eBay auctions that you may be tracking, email me off-forum and we should be able to work something out :wink: I'll have at least three. I wish that I knew about that supposed P-n-P special ($$), because I paid alot more than that for mine...

Stan

suddenimpact@mindspring.com

greetings, i haven't gotten the fan installed yet. other projects have taken on a life of their own and the z is sitting ( again ).

with the scarab engine mounts the 2 speed taurus fan will not clear the water pump pulley.

i am running a 4 core, brass, stuart radiator.

Mike at JTR suggests i sell that radiator and pick up one of the radiators that they sell or use a camaro style radiator.

the one inch tubes, i think he said to go with the 2 core, one inch tubes.

that will put more room between the pump and the radiator allowing me to use the taurus fan.

though zirgo, claims that the fan i bought ... 2850 cfm, will cool the 350 in my z, it has been suggested that it is a low amperage fan, not much horsepower and may not do the job with the 4 core i have now.

a friend suggested, using the zirgo as a puller and adding two pushers in front of the radiator. i saw this at the black hawk meet in california a couple months back. wasn't able to speak with the car's owner.

i think, before i went to that expense, i would take Mike's advise ... buy the JTR radiator and use the taurus fan.

the taurus fan has the built in shroud, that forces the air to go though most of the radiator. this is the big secret behind its success.

most of the people that i have spoken to ( mustang 5.0 people ), tell me to run the two speed fan, but ... that most of them have never had to use the 2nd speed, even at 95 degrees and the air on. most suggested, use the taurus fan, try it without connecting the switch for the second speed, if issues, then connect the second speed.

i asked about the amperage on the second speed, again ... most suggested that it would come on so seldom, that the reserve in the battery would easily handle it, no reason to run a 100 amp alternator, unless i was running a home stereo set up in the car.

so ... sorry no answer for you.

yes, i am going to try the zirgo before i give up on it. i might get lucky LOL

but, i truly believe, that Mike from JTR is correct, the way to go is with a thinner, 1 inch tube radiator and the taurus 2 speed fan.

wayne