HybridZ

twin turbo sbc build is kicking off(non z related)

mobythevan

I have got to try my hand at building a twin turbo small block. I have been working on it for a while, mainly narrowing down what components to go with. This is staying as budget as you can for starters. I bought an 81 camaro a few months ago for $250 to put it in. I have a powerglide laying around already, so we will build that up and see what happens.

This is all a learning experience and I don't claim to be a turbo guru, but my base theory is double everything I am doing to the L28et because the sbc 350 is double the displacement. I am using two 60mm ford mustang throttle bodies and building my own 90 degree adapter to the intake manifold(ends up being a 1050cfm throttle body). I already have the intake and the throttle bodies. The intake is a multi port injection unit for vortec heads. I am going with straight stock vortec heads. Will be running 22cc dish pistons and .015 head gasket and decking the block to a true .025 piston to deck clearance. Going with Corkey Bell on this one and keeping quench at .040(he says the right quench is sacred and is more important than lowering SCR, everyone has their opinion). This will give 8.5:1 SCR. Going with David Vizards guidelines on turbo camshafts, the crower turbomaster1 or turbomaster2 looks to be the best off the shelf cam for these heads. I want to make torque, I am not as interested in having a 6500rpm engine. (the powerglide is just a starting point because we have it)

turbomaster1 278int,260exh 212int,200exh @.050 .432"int .401"exh

turbomaster2 290int,272exh 226int,208exh @.050 .465"int .420"exh

The exhaust headers are being built from weld els. The turbos will most likely be t3/t04e .57trim .60a/r compressor .63a/r turbine stage 3. Like many people are using on the L28et. Will be using MegaSuirtII for fuel and ignition control. I'll get some pics up in the next couple months. I already have the wideband so that will make tuning nice. I am really anxious to get this one together and for the first time ever I actually have a sizeable monthly allowance(from my wife) to spend. I am hoping to get it driveable for 5K and have it done by springtime next year. I am curious to see what the limits of stock components are as we start to crank up boost.

The plan is to get the engine running and test some things out over the next year in the camaro and then pull the engine and stick it in something more derserving of a TT350, the 240z maybe???